Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Just bought an S2 IS tonight - two quick questions...

1) Do I have to install the Canon software to be able to plug the camera into my PC and download pictures? I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.

2) I have a Panasonic BQ-345A charger that came with a set of 1200 mAh NiMH batteries back in 2001 when I bought my Canon A20 (yes - I've been using that camera up until today!)...

Anyway, will this charger still work with the newer, higher mAh batteries? The guy at Future Shaft tried to tell me that I needed a new charger to work with the stronger batteries. Is this true or is it a sales ploy?

FYI - the back of the charger says:

Input: AC 120V 60Hz 5W
    Output: DC 2.8V 320mA/140mAx2
    (Battery Charger Class 2)
    Manufactured May 2001

(Made in China)

Thanks!
    Canon S2 IS - 1GB Sandisk Ultra II SD
    Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 & Premiere Elements 2

1) No idea.

2) I'm not positive on this, but I could see your old charger having problems with modern batteries. Expensive advanced chargers monitor voltage, current, temperature, etc to make intelligent decisions about how to charge the batteries. If your old charger is one of these, then I would guess you are fine.

Cheaper chargers just run on a timer and supply a certain amount of current for a certain amount of time. If your old charger is one of these cheap ones then it seems likely it will pretty severely undercharge modern high-capacity batteries.

Take this with a grain of salt, I'm no expert on NIMH batteries...

For part 1 - as long as you're running windows XP, you should be fine - the Scanner and Camera Wizard will download your images without needing the Canon software. On older / other operating systems, I dunno.
    Part 2 - I have no clue...

Recommendations

Risky Business:

I recommend:

1) Purchase an external card reader for reading SD cards, either Firewire or USB 2. The software that comes with the S2 IS sucks disk space big time. And Photoshop Elements 3 will do all you need to manipulate the images. Do you have a Mac by chance? If so, be SURE to download and pay for shareware GraphicConverter. It's worth its weight in gold. You can view images, manipulate and a host of other things such as browse folders, slide show, ad infinitum.

2) Purchase a MAHA MH-C204W and two sets of (4) 2500 mAh batteries. You can get these at Thomas Distributing. Excellent service and good prices. http://thomas-distributing.com/index.htm

3) Altho you didn't ask, get at least one high speed, high capacity SD card. I recommend the SanDisk 1GB Ultra II card. You will need at least this fast if you plan to take movies of more than 1 minute each. The 1GB card will only hold 7.5 minutes @ 640x480 @ 30fps.

You won't be sorry!

If you're looking for a carrying case, I have the Tamarac 5696 bag. It holds the S2, a couple of spare packs of batteries and extra SD cards with room to spare. See my post on this thread:

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/sho...?t=9517&page=3

- Jack
    Last edited by Jack; 10-08-2005 at 02:49 PM.

One more quick question. I like to take a lot of pictures of the kids inside. I like to throw the background as much as possible so I'm using Av to open up the aperature and letting the camera to decide on the shutter speed. Two questions:

1) Should I set the white balance to 'tungsten' for shots inside the house?
    2) Should I be avoiding using the flash wherever/whenever possible?
    3) If the answer to #2 is yes, should I play with increasing the ISO to 200'ish to avoid using flash?

Thanks for your patience - my last camera was simply point and shoot!

-RB
    Last edited by Risky Business; 10-10-2005 at 11:31 AM.

White balance - see what looks good to you. Sometimes even the tungsten setting isn't enough to completely eliminate the color cast - you could try doing a manual WB setting by pointing the camera at a white object for a white reference point.
    Flash - it's up to you; direct flash often results in unflattering portraits, so a lot of people avoid it, or bounce it up to the ceiling, or attach diffusers to soften it. Natural light will likely yield better photos than direct flash, but if you can diffuse/soften your flash lighting somehow you should get enough light for good shutter speeds, without creating harsh shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by Risky Business
    2) Should I be avoiding using the flash wherever/whenever possible?
    Just remember that in indoor light, even at wide aperture settings and high ISO, it may not be possible to both freeze action and get a well exposed shot without the flash...experiment to find the optimal settings for your lighting conditions...and don't forget...on the S2, you have a decent amount of control over the flash output...

Quote Originally Posted by JTL
    and don't forget...on the S2, you have a decent amount of control over the flash output...
    Please explain further...

FEC - Flash Exposure Compensation .. you can set it + or - just like regular exposure compensation to make the flash fire at different power levels. I'm not sure where the menu setting would be on an S2 - check your manual.

Thank you! Found it!