Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

12x zooooom, canon, sony or substitude

Hi all new in cameras,

i'm looking into 12x zoom ones.
    5 mp is good enough for me.
    Now i cant deside between Sony Cyber Shot DSC-H1 or Canon PowerShot S2 IS or substitude.
    price range shouldn't pass 500 +-. Can some one help.

Note: if i bought 7mb camera witbh 4x zoom would i get the same quality pictures? Or do i get this totally wrongly if so please help.

Thanks

ADDIITTIIONN :
    i will not have a tripod so i do need a really decent image stabilizer so i wont get shitty pictures.

Usage would be daily bases for taking picture of freinds, scenic pictures, maybe some amount of close up pictures. Thanks
    Last edited by drewex; 09-26-2005 at 08:10 PM.

I will be watching for the replies to your question because it may help with my decision for purchase.

Thumbs up Re: 12X zoomers...

Quote Originally Posted by drewex
    Hi all new in cameras,

Now i cant deside between Sony Cyber Shot DSC-H1 or Canon PowerShot S2 IS or substitude.
    price range shouldn't pass 500 +-. Can some one help.

Note: if i bought 7mb camera witbh 4x zoom would i get the same quality pictures? Or do i get this totally wrongly if so please help.

Thanks
    You didn't mention the Panasonic FZ cameras; any reason for that, or hadn't you heard of them? I'd stack my FZ30 (now selling for ~$550 on-line) against any of those you mentioned. It has 8MP, 12X zoom at 8MP, 15.3X zoom at 5MP, and 19.1X zoom at 3MP. It has a very sharp Leica lens with a manual zoom function, which makes it start up faster than both earlier Panasonic cameras, and any other camera with a motor-driven zoom. Take a look. English-speaking reviewers have said the FZ30 is noisy, but noise hasn't been an issue for me; one German camera magazine said the FZ30 was the "best digital camera they'd ever tested."
    Let a be your umbrella!

Now i cant deside between Sony Cyber Shot DSC-H1 or Canon PowerShot S2 IS or substitude............
    If 'the substitute' is the immensely popular Panasonic DMC FZ5 or FZ20 then go for the substitute. Surely, you heard about FZs? (Leica lens, 5MP 12x opital zoom with IS. that's just to start with)
    Pana FZ series enjoy some sort of fan club in this very site for good reason. Go to perspective forum of each camera in your short list to see what owners think of them. However if video is [very] important to you; don't bother with the FZs.

Quality comes with the lens and sensor not the size of MP or zoom. Tele (zoom) is very very handy for creative shots. Personally, I choose smaller MP with longer zoom.

i will not have a tripod so i do need a really decent image stabilizer so i wont get shitty pictures. .......

Usage would be daily bases for taking picture of freinds, scenic pictures, maybe some amount of close up pictures. .......
    All the cameras in your list have IS. Again, I suggest you check out perspective forums; some threads contains photos as well.

First time hearing it, i always thought the canon and sony made the best cameras (i really just heard it dont know anything about it),
    and just looked at to Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5K not sure if its the same quality with the sony or canon one can some one compare them to me thanks.

copy paste

i read this one in cnet. (one part i like about cnet is they give pros and cons and video review its nice)

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 (black)
    Release date: September 1, 2004
    Home Review Video Specs User opinions Essentials Compare Where to buy Welcome, drewex (log out) | view your profile
    Return to all user opinionsRead next user opinion
    User rating
    Good

out of 10"Great for Outdoor Photography, Poor in Low Light"
    January 18, 2005

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. (See 2 comments).
    Pros: Great physical design and comfortable to handle despite weight. Easy to navigate menus. Mega OIS is very effective, especially with the zoom at its full range. Virtually no shutter lag when pre-focused or using manual focus!
    Cons: I made the purchase of this camera based on the many positive reviews on this and other sites and the advertised feature set. However, I cannot recommend it due to the poor ability to take quality photos in low light and indoor settings. This camera takes absolutely fabulous photos outdoors or in well lit conditions. If you do some further searching on digital photography forums regarding this camera, you'll find similar complaints regarding quality of photography at low light. I have two older Olympus digital cameras that did such a fine job taking pictures indoors without falsh, even in Program Mode, that I expected more from this camera. Be careful, if you plan on taking many shots indoors without a flash of anything other than a stationary subject, this camera may not be for you. This camera has such enthusiastic support from users on this site, it needs to be tempered. Make sure to try this camera prior to purchase in lighting conditions you might encounter with your family to see if you are satisfied, you may not be. If outdoor photography is your primary reason for purchase, I don't believe you'll be disappointed. If you want one versatile enough to go indoors and not rely on a flash that washes out your subjects, take caution.

First time hearing it, i always thought the canon and sony made the best cameras (i really just heard it dont know anything about it),
    and just looked at to Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5K not sure if its the same quality with the sony or canon one can some one compare them to me thanks.
    Canon makes good cameras and I was going to buy a Canon A95 until the FZ20 came along....
    I can second that post from cnet. I personally post a thread or 2 in Panasonic forum on lowlight ability, especially without flash but in reality I have no need to use it indoorw without flash. How much light is lowlight? That's the main question. I took photos with FZ20 at wedding receptions (without flash) with good result.
    I also wonder how H1 and S2 IS perform in similar 'lowlight' conditions? All have max ISO of 400. But at that price and 12x optical zoom, you can't expect the performance of a DSLR.
    I read conflicting opinions re. the 3 cameras quality, some says FZ5 has better photos than S2 and H1, while some said exactly opposite. I am not that fussy and minor difference in quality doesn't bother me but I have read too many persistent errors on Canon S2; and I like to think users are going through learning phase. To cap it all, the lens cap keeps falling off!

YEP! The FZ camera is not perfect. It's the matter of choosing and paying the right price for what you are looking for.

Definately check out Kodak's new P850 as well. I've got it on a probationary period right now, with another week to decide if I want to keep it. So far, it's looking very good but I'm also considering Fujifilm's new S9000 as well. Good luck with your decision either way, and let us know what you get.

The lens cap is one complaint I definitely DO NOT have with regards to the s2 IS... I can't figure that one out, it fits perfectly, couldn't possibly be better? Never falls off, is totally snug, it's like it was made for it --???

I haven't yet figured out the benefit of IS with the canon s2, seems my pics come out just as blurry as any I've taken with cameras without IS -something about how I use and shoot I guess. From very limited indoor testing in stores I actually found the pana fz30 vastly superior with low light shooting than the fz5 or fz20, also better with skin tones. Zoom definitely beats higher pixel and then cropping.

The S2IS has the best colour rendition, followed by the H1. The panasonics have the most dull colours and are all quite noisy even in ISO100. The Sony is the least noisy in 200 and 400 ISO.

The canon has a really nice swivel display.

I would choose between the Canon and Sony, the Panasonics colours and noisy nature of the photos just do not impress me a lot (the FZ30 is very noisy).
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30