Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Preview of Olympus E-500

Imaging Resource has a preview report on the new Oly E-500. Looks pretty positive, although all the standard disclaimers apply (YMMV, etc.).

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EV500/E500A.HTM
    "...and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
    Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

I wonder if anybody has previews or sample images up of the lenses which IMO are much more interesting than the camera. One advantage that Oly has over anyone else is that this system is capable of getting us constant f/2.0 zooms, albeit at high prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex914
    I wonder if anybody has previews or sample images up of the lenses which IMO are much more interesting than the camera. One advantage that Oly has over anyone else is that this system is capable of getting us constant f/2.0 zooms, albeit at high prices.
    The difference between f2 and f2.8 is less than a stop, and at an $800 premium over equivalent (or better) 70-200 f2.8, D-VR and L-IS lenses, from the competition. I didn't see that the 35-100 f2 was image stabilized, so it must be head-and-antlers better (as-in unbelievable at f2) for $2500. Additionally, consider that it's 100mm shorter even after crops are considered.

Offering high end lenses, even if they are the worlds best, seems counterproductive if you don't offer a camera capable of using those advantages. In my opinion none of the Olympus offerings thus far (and lacking the promise of something better) are worth the proprietary lens investment.

If these new lenses are as good as their prices, then Oly should think seriously about redesigning (if necessary), and selling, them with Canon and Nikon mounts, but then maybe they can't make these lenses in volume.

I have nothing against Olympus, and I have been seriously waiting for them to introduce a decent performing 4:3 dSLR with 1.5X sensor. A half-sized 4:3 (1.5X) medium format sensor would actually be slightly smaller at around 22mm x 16.5mm than an APS-C size sensor, and should cost about the same as well. Throw this in against the D70 and 20D, and you have a winner. Add a 1.3X sensor to the high end mix, and now you have a place for those high-end lenses.

Ultimately, being alligned with Kodak as their sensor supplier, may be the limiting factor.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/