Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

LindzerLou42 Guest

Fixing the LCD Screen

My Nikon Coolpix 4600 camera's LCD screen has been cracked I do not know if it was internally or externally but my question is: Is it worth repairing? If it is how should I go about doing that?

If it's still under warranty then yes it should be repaired. If it isn't anymore you can alsways get an estimate from your Nikon service center first.

dons115 Guest

Cracked on Screenof Coolpix 4600

I also have the same problem with a crack showing on the screen of a new coolpix 4600. The camera is 6 weeks old and was not dropped or banged. The crack is not in the plastic, but the scrren shows a picture like a cracked mirror. I intend to send it bakc to Nikon. Is this a problem that others are experiencing?

Forget Fixing the LCD under Warranty

I've got a Nikon coolpix L12 that I bought last summer. The LCD display stopped working after 6 months. I sent it to Nikon with a copy of my original purchase receipt. They refuse to repair it under warranty saying that it is not a manufacturing defect. They are willing to discount the repair bill and still charge me $78 for their trouble!

Forget fixing a broken LCD on a low or medium end camera is my conmclusion. I was most dissapointed in Nikon, a brand I have trusted my entire life. Basically these are throw away cameras unless someone knows where to buy LCD displays cheap. Nikon wants $76 just for the LCD via their parts department!

If your camera has a broken lcd, the best place to go I've found is ebay. I was able to buy a reconditoned Coolpix L12 for 60 dollars. It came with a 1 year warranty packed in a box with everything that a new camera comes with- even the straps, cords, manual and CD ROM! You can't even buy a replacement LCD for so little. So, my theory about these low end units being disposble was correct. Viva ebay!!