Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Canon S60

Canon S60

I am about ready to buy the S60, don't see much difference for my kind of useage over the S70..I have ruled out the Sony P200, too many dust issues reported, the Nikon 7900, the images are not a sharp as the S60's..I wish red eye were less of a problem, but there are compromises, and I like the 28MM lens. I would like to hear about any experiences with this camers, or this one compared to the S70?

Thanks

Canon S60

I purchased a Canon S60 in July and took it on a trip to Europe. I really liked the breath of optional settings on this camera. The menus are easy to get to and easy to set. Using a tripod, I got some great low light pictures at night. I originally thought about getting a SLR, but decided I wanted something a little smaller. The S60 has many of the settings of a SLR and is good if you want to travel light.

S60

I'm revising my opinion of the S60. Today I did some tests using aperature priority,auto and landscape settings. For the aperature settings I used the highest number (smallest opening), a middle setting and the lowest setting. Then I used auto, then landscape. I took the same picture on all settings, of course. I repeated the procedure several times on different scenes. All pictures were taken on a sunny day along a creek. Both water and plants were partially in sun and shadow. All aperature opening settings yielded a loss of color. The greens tended markedly toward blue, and there was a general loss of color. In both the auto and landscape settings the colors were true. I don't know what's going on here. The aperature setting seemed like a good idea to me when I bought the camera as I wanted to be able to play with depth of field. However, the lousy color reproduction does not please me. All images were saved as jpeg. Perhaps I sould have saved them as RAW files and tried to color correct them on the computer. Nevertheless, I was disappointed at the poor color reproduction in the aperature priority pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by snap
    I'm revising my opinion of the S60. Today I did some tests using aperature priority,auto and landscape settings. For the aperature settings I used the highest number (smallest opening), a middle setting and the lowest setting. Then I used auto, then landscape. I took the same picture on all settings, of course. I repeated the procedure several times on different scenes. All pictures were taken on a sunny day along a creek. Both water and plants were partially in sun and shadow. All aperature opening settings yielded a loss of color. The greens tended markedly toward blue, and there was a general loss of color. In both the auto and landscape settings the colors were true. I don't know what's going on here. The aperature setting seemed like a good idea to me when I bought the camera as I wanted to be able to play with depth of field. However, the lousy color reproduction does not please me. All images were saved as jpeg. Perhaps I sould have saved them as RAW files and tried to color correct them on the computer. Nevertheless, I was disappointed at the poor color reproduction in the aperature priority pictures.
    If the foliage is blue, that means that you had the white balance set incorrectly...check it again and you'll see that I'm right. The reason that the auto and landscape settings worked is because it was using auto white balance.

S60

JTL,
    Thanks much for the advice. I just checked the white balance. You are correct. Wrong setting. Tomorrow is another day, with another test.