Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 68 of 76 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast

Thread: Panoramas

Quote Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
    Some lovely pano shots here lately guys well done. I tried a few recently but just couldn't get the exposures to match up properly. What do you guys do when the light levels vary across each shot? Do you use one exposure for the middle shot & stick to it accepting that the ends of the panorama will be way off or do you expose each one and some how level them out to stitch together? Previously when I've tried the Arcsoft software has coped & evened out the levels so it's not been a problem, however, not so recently.
    When doing panos, exposure lock is your best friend. I usually take several test shots to find the best exposure and then lock it in and shoot away. Contrasty scenes can be tough and your only option may be to blow out some highlights or shadows and hope you can fix it software. In these cases, I try to find a "compromise" exposure setting....or just realize that I'm not going to get a pano shot.

I've been using PTGUI for a few years now and it does a great job, both at stitching and fixing lighting, and allowing for extreme fine-tuning of alignment...but I imagine there are much cheaper and more intuitive alternatives out there now since more people are shooting panos these days.
    D300/D70/Sigma 70-200mm 2.8/Nikon 16-85mm/Nikon 35mm 1.8/Nikon 50mm 1.8/Tokina 12-24mm/Nikon SB-800

Thanks DownByFive I'll need to take more care in the future. I guess I've not taken anything with a wide exposure range before so the software was able to compensate.
    This is the shot that made me post the question.

Name:  Stitched_derby mist.JPG
Views: 97
Size:  50.5 KB

Even reducing the spread was still to wide an exposure range as you can see below

Name:  Stitched_derby mist 2.JPG
Views: 95
Size:  52.2 KB
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Well you're shooting at the sun. The exposure range is too wide even for one frame. I would use a GND filter on the sun portion or bracket off a couple frames for that half so you can blend in the details. In simpler lighting situations, I'd just split the difference and fix it later. Personally though, I'd rather have some underexposed areas than clipped highlights.

I'm almost always shooting at the ends of the day, so light is changing quickly and so is my exposure. I took one the other day that was 5 shots at 30 seconds apiece. I was concerned that the by the time I made my way from one end of the pano to the other my I would have an underexposed image. My solution was to start at the darker end of the pano and make my way towards the more well lit end. It worked out fairly well
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

This printed out nicely to about 50"x17"...framing was expensive as hell though...

D300/D70/Sigma 70-200mm 2.8/Nikon 16-85mm/Nikon 35mm 1.8/Nikon 50mm 1.8/Tokina 12-24mm/Nikon SB-800

Here is a 2 shot Panorama taken at Tsuru-no-yu Hot Spring (Hot Spring of the Crane) here in Japan. We went here for New Year's.

I also posted this shot in the "Snow" Thread.

Just a normal shot cropped into a panorama from me this time.
    Derbyshire just after sunrise this morning.
    Name:  P1090359.JPG
Views: 78
Size:  344.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
    Just a normal shot cropped into a panorama from me this time.
    Derbyshire just after sunrise this morning.
    Name:  P1090359.JPG
Views: 78
Size:  344.8 KB
    That's beautiful! Similar to the other ones you posted, but I like the composition and exposure here much more. Nice job

Here's one from Sedona, AZ

Doe Mountain by Lukas W, on Flickr
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Yes you are right Lukas it is a view I'd posted before but with a normal kit lens this time. I was trying out my new cam in a known location just to see how the shots compared as I get used to it. Your Sedona shot is also lovely, especially nice to see one in the snow with good weather too. Must keep Sedona in mind if I ever get over that way again it looks like a beautiful place.

Upper St Anthony Falls St. Paul, MN

An old 4 shot series from my C5050Z days.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Lukas, do you mind saying what filters you used on that last shot?

.6 ND soft parallel with the horizon and a polariser?
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate