Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 59 of 76 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Thread: Panoramas

I know that you know that i know that the pano is boring. just trying to hone my skills and you have to work with what you got.
    PENTAX K100D, 18-55mm kit lens, Cosina-K 28mm f2.8, FA 50mm f1.4, K-Mount 135mm f2.8, DA 50-200mm lens, Sigma EF 500 DG Super flash
    The Tb Photos Flickr Photostream
    The Tb Photos Blog
    Tb Photos

Nothing special here, just the first pano I've done in awhile and I wanted to share.
    This is the Popo Agie river in Sinks Canyon State Park, Wyoming. The river comes down from the right, sinks into the ground in the cave on the left, then reappears
    2 hours later and 50% larger about 1/4 mile away. There is no underground channel -- it filters through the porous limestone, picking up other runoff on the way.

I used my 1.2 grad filter on the sky. I really like it, but I keep seeing this purple/red tinge on the clouds. I haven't found a good way to get rid of it. Ideas?

I converted the 8 vertical RAW images to jpg, then used Autostitch to combine. Saved the result in NX as a NEF, raised the contrast and overall exposure. Resized and saved as jpg.

19mm, 1/20, f/14, ISO 200
    Attachment 37015
    C&C appreciated as always.
    Last edited by toriaj; 06-16-2008 at 10:01 PM.
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

I like this shot but I'm confused by the sepia/warm processing. I don't really see any tint in the sky that isn't in the rest of the image.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Okay, thanks, Lukas. I noticed the warm tint (not done on purpose) on the left side of the image, but not so much on the right,
    so I decided to leave it alone. But now I can see a warm cast even on the right, thanks for your input.
    Last edited by toriaj; 06-18-2008 at 12:27 AM.
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

Oh, ok. I wasn't sure if it was on purpose or not. I used the "remove color cast" tool in PSE5 and it worked pretty well. It's a very nice shot. The over exposed water is unfortunate but you can't have everything. I guess you might be able to save it with a separate RAW edit? That just sounds like a complete pain for a pano though. Mind giving a couple tips on panoramas? I haven't done any since I gave up my S3 (and it's pano tool). I was out the other day and wanted to do one, then I realized I don't know what I'm doing.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

These are probably the last shots you will see from my old Canon A710IS (which was stolen about six months ago as you may recall). I finally found a photo-stitching program that seems to work, so I stuck these together, I think around 11 shots total. It covers approximately 300 degrees, the clump of trees you see on either end is the same small stand. Sorry, I don't know panorama etiquette, so the first one is clearly too big. I provided a smaller version below for your single screen viewing pleasure. And below that is a black and white version that is cropped (the red pack doesn't look as good in gray).

I am sort of thinking of having this printed, eventually. What do you think?

raven15
    This is great stuff! 1st - I love the Panorama shot - and, in fact, it is great to scan accross it and look at the detail.
    Good idea to put the small and even a B&W in as well.
    If you want to 'Fit to page' with a pano shot - I found that 999 pixal width
    size just fits the screen on here.
    Sorry about the Camera - have you got a replacement??
    Also - what is the stitcher program? This looks like a great job.
    cheers

Geoff

(PS - Yeah - get it printed, up as large as possible, it would look great on a wall somewhere...)
    Last edited by Geoff Chandler; 07-22-2008 at 08:30 AM.
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

Thanks Geoff. Yes, I upgraded to a DSLR (Olympus E-410) about four months ago, after spending quite a while wondering what kind of camera I wanted.

The stitcher program was called AutoStitch (compelling name, I know), which is available free from the University of British Columbia. It is far more effective than what Canon or Olympus includes with their cameras. I like programs powerful enough to tell me they won't work because my computer has insufficient memory, then after I change a few things to make it work spend 45 minutes getting everything together right.

I learned the wisdom of a huge overlap between shots in this one: in one of the frames my friend was picking his nose! For some reason all stitching programs prefer the nose picking one, so eventually I had to crop out part of that shot to force it to use what you see here.

I will take another look at Autostitch then - I have had some history with
    it and stopped using it
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

It's not art, but if anyone was wondering if Santa Barbara was nice...

D300/D70/Sigma 70-200mm 2.8/Nikon 16-85mm/Nikon 35mm 1.8/Nikon 50mm 1.8/Tokina 12-24mm/Nikon SB-800