Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 41 of 76 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Panoramas

We take in hands PTGui. Controls wery many - we shall try to understand it. If to try " in a forehead " - result it is similar to yours.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The main lining in a computer - between the monitor and a chair
    My photo gallery in Flickr

Why so it has turned out? The point of a view is too highly (crossing of two thin lines)

thanx for the help hushnirenko. i was getting good results with spherical warping, i guess i just really wanted the structure to have straight angles. I guess in the future i'll have to take greater care when it comes keeping the camera straight, and possibly shooting with the camera orientated for portrait

We take the tool "Set center point" and it is move necessary point

And the result is much better!

So in terms of taking pictures, what can i do to make a panorama like this work in Rectilinear mode without excessive warping?

Quote Originally Posted by justlearning View Post
    So in terms of taking pictures, what can i do to make a panorama like this work in Rectilinear mode without excessive warping?
    At stitching a panorama it is impossible to avoid distortions.
    The analogy to it is the globe of the Earth and a map of hemispheres.
    To reduce distortions it is possible having increased a focal length of objective (zoom).
    Analogue - a map of city - it practically without distortions

increase the vocal length? u mean increase the zoom? zooming in a bit will help avoid larger distortions?

Quote Originally Posted by justlearning View Post
    increase the vocal length? u mean increase the zoom? zooming in a bit will help avoid larger distortions?
    Zooming in will only work in reducing barrel distortions. However, barrel distortions are not the type of distortion that you get in your results. The distortions you are dealing with are caused by perspective. You are trying to cover an angle of view which is too large for getting good results with the rectiliniear projection.

The rectiliniar projection can give very nice results due to the straight lines, but the drawback is that the angle of view is limited. My estimation is that the maximum horizontal angle of view you can cover using this projection method is roughly 100 degrees, though this value may vary to a large extend depending on the circumstances. If there is a lot in the foreground, your angle of view will be limited even more.

Now, if you want to get the scene you wanted to cover in one panorama, it does not help to zoom in and cover the same field of view with more images. Stitching those images will ultimately give you the same issues.
    What you should do instead is to stand further away from the subject when taking the pictures. Thus, the entire structure will fit in a much smaller field of view. Do keep in mind that the perspective of the picture does change. It will be far less dramatic, yet more accurate, than taking the pictures closer to the subject.
    Another thing you can do is to chose a smaller field of view. You can then shoot from the same location, but you should then limit yourself to the temple and neglect its surounding.
    Finally, you should always keep in mind that a panorama with a large field of view can never be perfect. So, sometimes the only thing you can do is to live with the distortions, be it the perspective distortions of the rectiliniear projection or the curved lines of the spherical or cylindrical projections.
    Nikon D-50
    // Nikkor 70-300 f/4-5.6 VR // Nikkor 50 mm f/1.8
    // Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 ...// Nikon SB-600
    // Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6......// Nikon Series E 135 mm f/2.8
    // Kiron 105 f/2.8 Macro....// Manfrotto 190XPROB + 488RC4
    // Nikkor 35 f/1.8..........// Sigma 500 mm f/8

My website: http://www.dennisdolkens.nl

Penang, Malysia

Here's two of my first tries at panoramaa
    Comments are very welcome.
    Nikon D70s,