Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 32 of 76 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Panoramas

Hey Gil Ab Ca.
    Nice panorama. I like the composition. There are some wrong stitches, unfortunatly. What kind of software are you using for stitching?

EDIT: On second thoughts, I don't think the problem can be fixed. It must be the moving boat and not the software you used that has caused the mistakes in stitching.
    Last edited by Prospero; 04-25-2006 at 01:49 PM.
    Nikon D-50
    // Nikkor 70-300 f/4-5.6 VR // Nikkor 50 mm f/1.8
    // Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 ...// Nikon SB-600
    // Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6......// Nikon Series E 135 mm f/2.8
    // Kiron 105 f/2.8 Macro....// Manfrotto 190XPROB + 488RC4
    // Nikkor 35 f/1.8..........// Sigma 500 mm f/8

My website: http://www.dennisdolkens.nl

Re: The Queens

I used Arcsoft Panorama Maker 3 which came with my camera software. I tried to play with this but could not get it any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero
    Kushnirenko, that 360 degrees Pano is awsome.
    Have you tried exporting it as a quicktime .mov file? I created one with your images and when you then view it with quicktime its almost as if you are in that place yourself .
    Thank Prospero!
    I would like to try.
    Tell, what program you use to create this .mov file?
    The main lining in a computer - between the monitor and a chair
    My photo gallery in Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Kushnirenko
    Thank Prospero!
    I would like to try.
    Tell, what program you use to create this .mov file?
    To create a .mov file I use Arcsoft Panorama Maker 3. You can open an image with this program and then export it to a quicktime .mov file.
    Here's what I created with your panorama. Because the size of the file you posted here was to small for creating a .mov file, the image quality is pretty bad. Other than that, it looks quite nice.
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~dolkens/pictur...nirenko360.mov
    Nikon D-50

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero

EDIT: Today I read Jeff's review of the Kodak EasyShare V570. I read that this camera can stitch the images together automatically. I don't think it can beat panoramas stitched with software, though.
    Don't knock it 'til you try it.

The best advantage with the stitched panos of the V570 is you can see results on the spot (well, 20 seconds after the stitching is done) and just retry it until you get it right. The use of a tripod is recommended, but not necessary to get perfectly stiched panos thus this gives you a lot of freedom. In fact, shooting just holding the camera in your hands can make you tilt and angle the camera in different ways all through shooting a single pano, to get effects that would be hard to replicate on a tripod.

I don't pretend to be a pro, I'll admit that this type of photography is kind of an art of its own and there are some useful tips to remember when using a V570 but this camera makes panos a hell lot easier.

Here is some examples of non-tripod panos with the V570. All are of Copenhagen. Some of those shots were taken on my first day with it. Just imagine what some of you 'veterans' could do with this camera.

Edit: Just checked the forum rules, gotta resize those photos.
    Last edited by bluevellet; 04-27-2006 at 12:02 PM.

Thumbs up Great Panoramas !!!

Bluevellet, these panorama's are great. I think I underestimated the stitching capabilities of that camera. I saw the result in Jeffs review, and I was not impressed. The sea didn't look to good (but then again, stitching moving water is very difficult).

However, your panoramas seem to be stitched flawlessly. I don't see any breaks in lines. The camera didn't seem to have any problem with the moving crowd in panorama 2 either.
    There are only two things I don't like too much is the blown out highlights in the last panorama and the distortion in panorama 1 (though it looks kind of creative as well). Software like PtGUI allow you to fix those things (though even then blown out highlights remain a nuissance)

All in all, I think the panorama-mode of your camera can give some really nice results. Though stitching with software gives you more control over the result, stitching with a camera like yours is definetly a nice alternative to creating panoramas. Keep posting, I would love to see more of your panoramas.
    Nikon D-50

With the V570, it was the very first time I ever attempted to do panos. I have no experience with computer software allowing you to stitch photos, but I do know there's a minimum of precaution and foresight any photographer has to take in order to deliver photos for a successful panorama. Software can only compensate for so much. A tripod is usually a must.

Though with my experience with the V570, I suspect some of the same rules apply to the traditional way of taking/making panos.

With the V570, the first shot is vital, it's what the determines ISO's, aperture and all other settings for the following photos. I think you're supposed to take the brightest shot first. The results speak for themselves, at least, they did for me.

Though the V570 is very helpful in assisting you in each shots for panos, you must be very careful with tiles and patterns and align the photos properly. The shot with the pedestrians is one of the difficult ones for that reason.

Staying away from nearby objects in the foreground is usually a good idea, more so if you use the wide angle lens. Some of the best effects/experiments/panos are still with the wide angle lens though.

Moving traffic and pedestrians are tricky for panos. You have to use your peripheral vision to judge when is the best time to take those precious shots and be willing to sacrifice some photos if you misjudge. The pano with pedestrians still has at least one guy appearing twice.

You must fight the temptation to pivot your body rather than the camera (when not using a tripod, of course). The V570 can compensate if you don't, but you are more likely to be successful if you do.

Oh yeah and the golden rule is not to have your girlfriend tagging along while taking panos. That way, you can take your sweet time getting them right.

Musical Fountain. 12 shots in 2 lines. Kharkiv, Ukraine. Fuji FinePix S9500. May, 05, 2006
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Cafe "Agate"
    Kharkiv, Ukraine. Fuji FinePix S9500. May, 06, 2006
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here's a panorama of the track of the High Speed Railway which is close to my hometown. It is still under construction. I don't know if it was allowed to stand where I was, but the fence had been left open and I didn't want to miss the opportunity.

Nikon D-50