Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Panoramas

Quote Originally Posted by scatamousche
    Hi JTL,

How do you like the S2's panorama function? I thought it was quite an improvement over my old Pro 90.
    I really like the fact that the S2 makes it very easy to overlay the shots...although, as I said, even with all the in-camera help, my two or three efforts thus far have been pretty pitiful. I need to practice, practice, practice...

I haven't learned to "see" the finished panorama in my mind yet before I take the shots...
    Last edited by JTL; 09-21-2005 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Chandler
    On the road to Las Vegas from CA - this was a short train!
    It's nice when AE lock works.

For those shooting panos that show individual frame exposure difference...

...that's the primary use for the AE lock function on your camera. That doesn't mean that I remember it all the time either. Part of my recent preshot routine is to check all exposure settings including ISO and AE lock.

That said, I took a series of 20 outdoor pictures on Sunday with WB set to incandecent from the night before. Nice blueing effect, and saved by RAW post-processing.

Anyway FYI: http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glos...AE_Lock_01.htm
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Hi American Nomad,

Wow, 9 shots!?! That's quite a construct. Was there a lot of overlapping of your shots?
    This comes from the help file of my auto stitch program.

"For best results, use a 20% to 50% overlap"

I usually go for 50% overlap to give the program more help in matching seams. You guys that stitch manually are to be admired greatly. I'm afraid I don't have a good grasp on image editing.

Thanks for starting this thread Geoff, I have really enjoyed it.

One question. What is the best size for posting panoramas?
    Sony DSC-P200
    Maybe I should change my name to
    An Amature Nomad!

Canon Digital Rebel 350D (XT)
    Canon 100-400mm F4.5 L, 85mm 1.8 18-55mm,

You create your reality.

Thumbs up

Tyger - absolutely beautiful, where is it?
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Beautiful panos guys.

Here's one of my favs, taken a month ago when I was on vacation in Eastern Canada. The location's pretty obvious, I guess. It was put together using Canon's Photostitch program, which I think does a pretty good job. I had to fiddle around with the seams, though, since the people kept moving around and I ended up with amputated arms and heads after autostitching.

Wall- i often go to niagra, great place for pics i think this turned out really nice.

Phill- thanx bro, this place i believe is called Fred Varley Park, it was my first time there. Such a beautiful place with quite a bit of wild life there.
    Canon Digital Rebel 350D (XT)
    Canon 100-400mm F4.5 L, 85mm 1.8 18-55mm,

You create your reality.

Nice panos all.

Takes the landscape thread to a whole new dimension.

Keep em' comming
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Quote Originally Posted by American Nomad
    This comes from the help file of my auto stitch program.

"For best results, use a 20% to 50% overlap"

I usually go for 50% overlap to give the program more help in matching seams. You guys that stitch manually are to be admired greatly. I'm afraid I don't have a good grasp on image editing.

Thanks for starting this thread Geoff, I have really enjoyed it.

One question. What is the best size for posting panoramas?
    This will sound good coming from me - who has done so few Panorama shots - but: -
    Try to avoid a too wide an angle on the lens as the distortions will complecate the stitching together - I would say a nice mid portrait equive. of around 80mm would probably be best - though you may be able to push out as far as 50mm if the lens is very good in the barrel distortion department.
    Definately overlap as suggested above.
    As for posting here - I try to keep the width down to avoid having to scroll left and right too much - say around 850 wide.
    So far my only stitching has been manual - never used the Olympus stitching program - and don't even know if KM do it (never checked). Re-sizing for posting here is a shame - but I cannot link from my Yahoo site, don't know yet about the other one that I have just started.
    Anyway - keep posting those Pano's guys - they're looking great!
    Any tips & suggestions gratefully recieved...
    Geoff
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Chandler
    Try to avoid a too wide an angle on the lens as the distortions will complecate the stitching together
    Thanks Geoff! Great advice! That's obviously the problem with my canyon shot...never thought about it till you brought it up here...I took it at about 28mm.

Thanks again...