Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 72 of 76 FirstFirst ... 22627071727374 ... LastLast

Thread: Panoramas

I don't know if you have it - but there are usually 3 or 4 different types
    of scan available in MS Ice - and it interprets the scan differently according
    to which is selected
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

Danwiz,

I am not convinced that CS5 actually did a better job. To my eye it made some poor interpretations to output a more rectangular image. The smaller rocks just to the left below the large boulder are clearly not a match for the original source image in the CS5 version. Those nearest the bottom of the frame have shifted the equivalent of a foot or more to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by danwiz View Post
    Just wanted to show you one of my less successful MS-ICE efforts and how Photoshop CS5 did with the same 2 images.
    The first 2 images are the originals.

Attachment 58520

Attachment 58521

This next image is what ICE was able to do with the above 2 images.
    Attachment 58522

Finally - the below image is what Photoshop CS 5 was able to do.
    Attachment 58523

Quite an amazing difference. So, when you have troubles with ICE I recommend that you try the photomerge tools in CS5.

danwiz
    I download first 2 pictures and have decided to play with them.
    Most attempts in scale of 100 % from the original.

Result of Autostitch http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/brown/autos...utostitch.html.

Name:  pano.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  87.7 KB

Next 5 variants - the results taken in my favourite program PTGui http://www.ptgui.com/.
    It only the small review from all possible variants of modifications a panorama. Only projection variants - 15

Rectilinear projection, center point at middle of stitched shots

Name:  Sep19_rd.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  675.8 KB

Cylindrical projection, center point at middle of stitched shots

Name:  Sep19_cd.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  97.8 KB

Rectilinear projection, center point in the bottom of the big stone

Name:  Sep19_rh.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  125.8 KB

Cylindrical projection, center point in the bottom of the big stone

Name:  Sep19_ch.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  99.5 KB

Stereographic projection. 50% scale

Name:  Sep19_s.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  80.1 KB
    The main lining in a computer - between the monitor and a chair
    My photo gallery in Flickr

I see the prolem in MS ICE with this one
    You would need to use CS3,4,5... to distort it to straighten out
    All the Scan pans have a similar problem - I think this
    is because of the wode angle lens used and the crucial upright within the bolder being at
    different angles in each image
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

Great, I got what I wanted here - some genuine discussion! I love it.
    Yes, I have ICE - as I said - the first attempt was with ICE. I don't see any choices for different types of scans with ICE, maybe I am not looking hard enough. I even installed the latest version to try this out for posting here.

Yes, the 2 original shots were actually taken from different points - which makes it difficult for any program to try and stitch them. The choice I used with CS5 was "Geometric Distortion".

kgosden: you commented: "The smaller rocks just to the left below the large boulder are clearly not a match for the original source image in the CS5 version. .....". But - I ask - if you do not have the 2 original photos - can you find a precise place in the stitched image which clearly shows that it's a stitch job?

Kushnirenko: yes, I played with all of those variants in CS5 too. As I said above - I decided to go with the "Geometric Distortion" option. Why? Because it gave me a wonderful panorama with no obvious (at least not to me) stitch seams.

Anyway - My point here was to show some results which you can get with CS5 - I don't own stock in Adobe, so I don't really care whether you buy it or use MS - ICE or another free program - it's totally up to you. I have CS5 and therefore I take advantage of what it has to offer me.

danwiz
    Last edited by danwiz; 10-29-2011 at 01:48 AM.

danwiz,

I agree that CS5 seemed to create a very nice looking, and seamless result. It would certainly be difficult to find any seams without the original source photos to compare. Looking at a full resolution image might be different, but I suspect not much. I have found that it does help to try panorama stitching in different programs as each have different strengths on blending and ghost removal. I have been impressed by ICE lately especially with the ease of use and being free.

Kushnirenko,

PTGui does seem to produce good results. I just do not take enough panoramas to justify the price over ICE.

I just do not take enough panoramas to justify the price over ICE
    I am in a similar situation I probably do a couple of panoramas a year so can not justify $116 for one program ( have you tried Hugin ) and if you add in $100+ for photo professional; $100+ for the focus stacking software which again probably gets used once a year not forgetting the HDR software at say another $100.
    For now I need to make do with free software which some times can not compete but does do a very good job for most straight forward projects. I suppose this makes CS5 look a good buy with a lot of these features built in!
    I suppose I need a co-operative of say 5 people who all buy one piece of software and let other people come around and us it on their PC

This is not a rant or having a go at someone; although it may read that way!
    Last edited by Anthony; 10-30-2011 at 01:44 AM.

Anthony: I did not read it as a rant nor as "having a go" at anybody. Makes sense. I was fortunate in that my very first edition of Photoshop was a present and then I have upgraded every other edition to keep my price reasonable. I don't mind the upgrade price of around $99 every second edition considering what I get.

I agree, that the price if Photoshop - if one is buying it for the first time - is outrageous. I would also probably not have it if I had not received my first edition as a gift.

Thanks danwiz I just felt it did not read very well and somebody may have taken offence.

Anyway I have just downloaded and installed Hugin and it has improved al lot since last time I tried it. It used to spread files and programs all over the desktop.

I would say it is similar to ptgui ( although I have not tried it ) and although it can do a simple stich it is complicated. There are loads of options for most settings and probably worth persevering with.