Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 70 of 76 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 ... LastLast

Thread: Panoramas

Last night the sunset over the city was pretty awesome. This is the best balance I could get between city glow and sunset color. This is a 7 shot panorama stitched together with Microsoft ICE. The seams are visible in the water and I’m wondering if anyone has any tips for getting rid of them.

San Francisco by Lukas W, on Flickr
    Last edited by TheWengler; 10-26-2011 at 11:21 PM.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Lukas,

I cannot see the seams in the sizes posted here or on Flickr. I would figure that some Photoshop healing brush might do it. Can you post a full size crop of one of the seams? Very nice shot by the way. I hope you have plans for a big wall print.

Yeah I hope to print this one pretty big. Came out to 68 MP so it should print nicely if I can get rid of the seams. Here's a 100% crop of one of the seams.

Name:  SFcrop.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  106.5 KB
    Lukas

I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by TheWengler View Post
    Last night the sunset over the city was pretty awesome. This is the best balance I could get between city glow and sunset color. This is a 6 shot panorama stitched together with Microsoft ICE. The seams are visible in the water and Iím wondering if anyone has any tips for getting rid of them.
    Lukas, whether you tried to stitch panorama from other software? Try to stitch a panorama by means of AutoStitch (http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/brown/autos...utostitch.html) or PTGui (http://www.ptgui.com/).
    The main lining in a computer - between the monitor and a chair
    My photo gallery in Flickr

Healing brush would mess that up as it would sample from all around.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

ICE has very little options you can tweak to get rid of these phenomena. Water is always pretty hard to stitch since it is moving, but the fact that ICE seems to use a pretty short transition zone between the images, emphasizes these problems.

PTGUI offers a much better stitching quality than ICE in that respect. It blends the images over a larger region, which tends to reduce seams in these cases. Furthermore, it does a slightly better job at warping the images so that they can be blended, which meanst that errors in stitching are less likely to occur.

Brilliant panorama, by the way. Beautiful colours.
    Nikon D-50
    // Nikkor 70-300 f/4-5.6 VR // Nikkor 50 mm f/1.8
    // Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 ...// Nikon SB-600
    // Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6......// Nikon Series E 135 mm f/2.8
    // Kiron 105 f/2.8 Macro....// Manfrotto 190XPROB + 488RC4
    // Nikkor 35 f/1.8..........// Sigma 500 mm f/8

My website: http://www.dennisdolkens.nl

Lukas,

Not sure if this is much improvement, but it was a quick 'what if' on my laptop. If most of these areas are in similar water I think this might work with a bit of tweaking. My thought is that the transition is obvious as it interrupts the horizontal pattern in the water to abruptly. I made a narrow new layer from a selection vertically along the seam. I flipped that around the vertical axis. Since the water pattern is very linear I applied a motion blur in the direction of the light streaks. I added back a small amount, 5% of noise. I then heavily feathered the selection and set the layer to about 70% transparency.

Another alternative might require a separate blend of the water in an alternative stitching tool and then merging that on top of the full image.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thank you for the help everyone! Hopefully I can get those things ironed out.
    Last edited by TheWengler; 10-25-2011 at 10:25 AM.
    Lukas

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by kgosden View Post
    Lukas,

Not sure if this is much improvement, but it was a quick 'what if' on my laptop. If most of these areas are in similar water I think this might work with a bit of tweaking. My thought is that the transition is obvious as it interrupts the horizontal pattern in the water to abruptly. I made a narrow new layer from a selection vertically along the seam. I flipped that around the vertical axis. Since the water pattern is very linear I applied a motion blur in the direction of the light streaks. I added back a small amount, 5% of noise. I then heavily feathered the selection and set the layer to about 70% transparency.

Another alternative might require a separate blend of the water in an alternative stitching tool and then merging that on top of the full image.
    I think the tool "motion blur" not so approaches in this case.
    In my example I used tool "Clone Stamp" and cloned image fragments on the right-to-left/left-to-right along water waves
    Name:  SFcrop.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  60.6 KB
    The main lining in a computer - between the monitor and a chair
    My photo gallery in Flickr

Photoshop CS5 has many (maybe too many) options for stitching photos together. Have you tried all of them? I can just about always find an option that works for me no matter what the subject. I use MS -ICE sometimes, but I have mostly been very disappointed in its abilities. The stitch program which came on my camera software CD does a better job than ICE.