Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 25 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Thread: Panoramas

New panorama. New doubts.
    Top - a cylindrical projection, bottom - rectangular.
    There is no truth on the Earth!
    Kharkiv, Ukraine. Fuji FinePix S9500. Jan, 31, 2006
    2 Prospero - new version of Smartblend - 1.1.7 I download yesterday!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The main lining in a computer - between the monitor and a chair
    My photo gallery in Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Kushnirenko
    New panorama. New doubts.
    Top - a cylindrical projection, bottom - rectangular.
    There is no truth on the Earth!
    Kharkiv, Ukraine. Fuji FinePix S9500. Jan, 31, 2006
    2 Prospero - new version of Smartblend - 1.1.7 I download yesterday!
    Nice panoramas Kushnirenko, both of them . I agree with you, there is no truth on earth. Both projections have their advantages and disadvantages. In my opinion the cylindrical projection looks somewhat rounded, though it does depict the buildings in a more natural way. The rectilinear projection on the other hand shows the perspective and straight lines a bit better. It seems heavily distorted at the edges, unfortunatly.

In this case I think the one with cylindrical projection is a bit better. It is, in my opinion, less distorted and looks, therefore, more natural.

Having doubts about which projections and settings you use is one of the most difficult things of panoramic photography. There never seems to be a perfect setting to use. You will always have to make compromises. Some settings will show the shapes more correctly, whereas the other will create a more natural picture on the whole.

In a similar way I often have difficulty placing the center point of a panorama of a building. Here is, for example, a panorma of six photographs (in two rows) of the San Giovanni in Laterano in Rome:

The general shape of the building looks pretty good on this picture. If you look at the top though, you will see the statues are horribly distorted. On the following picture I placed the center point more to the center of the panorama:

This picture is not too good, it has been made with an outdated version of PtGUI and I was not in the mood for painting away all the noise in the sky so I stopped halfway, but I hope you see my point. The statues on this picture look a lot better. The extreme perspective can partially be explained by the fact that I was standing very near to the building. It does not look too good though.

Perhaps the sollution is somewhere in between those two, but I have tried to make this panorama with the center point on many different places, and I was not entirely satisfied with any of them. Perhaps in this case you cannot create a really good panorama with the source pictures I used. Perhaps I should just have moved backwards a lot to get the whole building in one picture.

Thanks for your information on the new version of the plugin. I haven't had any time to install it yet. I have had exams at school, so it's been really busy the last couple of weeks. By the way, only today I found out that the version I have been using of PtGUI is really outdated. I was still using version 3, where you had to pick all the control points yourself. The new version picks many of the points for you saving a lot of time .
    Last edited by Prospero; 02-04-2006 at 08:57 AM.

Here's a new panorama of a typically Dutch landscape. I took this one on the side of the river Rotte. On the left you can see the mills which were originally used for pumping away the water.

Stadium "Metallist" (Metasheet). Kharkiv, Ukraine. Fuji FinePix S9500. Feb, 5, 2006

Hey Kushnirenko,
    Nice panorama, as always . By the way, it's been a while since anyone else has posted a panorama. It almost seems we're the only ones who are still creating panorama's these days .

Here's another one of a stadium. It is the Arena, the stadium of Ajax, in Amsterdam. It is still largely empty, because we arrived a lot too early for the match later that evening.

That suddenly reminds me of another stadium panorama I have. This stadium is a lot older, though. It is located in Pompeji, Italy.

And does this one also count as a stadium or is it more of a theater. I took this one in Ostia Antiqua, near Rome.

And now that we're posting pictures of stadiums anyway, here are some of the most famous stadium in the world, the Colloseum in Rome .

That's enough stadium panorama's for one day . To be quite honest I have run out of stadium panorama's anyway.

Square "Svobody" (Freedom). 8 shots. 360 degrees. Kharkiv, Ukraine. Fuji FinePix S9500. Feb, 10, 2006
    Last edited by Kushnirenko; 02-10-2006 at 06:24 AM.

Perhaps it already has bothered someone.
    New panoramas... New doubts. To judge to you
    Building. 9 shots. A rectangular projection.
    Kharkiv, Ukraine. Fuji FinePix S9500. Feb, 10, 2006

The same set of shots.
    Spherical projection.
    But it I could not shot its without using panorama - only with an lens "fish eye"!