Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

zoom noise new SD550 ?

hello,
    i just bought the new canon SD 550 and it is my first canon, i am wondering if the noise "grrrrrrr" that i hear when i zoom from wide to tele is normal ?
    i will be happy to have your opinion as canon user of this model ?
    thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectroMach
    I had the SD500 and you could not opticaly zoom with it, there was only digital zoom.
    Whoa! We have to qualify this statement...you mean no optical zooming in movie mode! The SD500 most certainly has optical zoom! By the way you wrote it, people who would read it might think it didn't have optical zoom at all...

ElectroMach,

Please, read again JTL's post.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindomar
    ElectroMach,

Please, read again JTL's post.
    LOL! And he needs to read his original post as well! Confusion on top of confusion...careless writing and reading!

toddo Guest

toddo

Hi,

I just purchased s 550 and have the same noise when i power up, and when i zoom in. It almost sounds like a clicking sound (sorta like gears meshing poorly). When i zoom out or power down, the sound is much more smooth, similar to the other compact i owned- the A80. Anybody else experiencing this, or think it's a manufacturer defect?

Toddo

I noticed a very light clicking sound when going from wide to tele on my SD500.. before the lcd cracked The sound was only noticible to me when the room was totally silent or i held the camera up to my ear. I only noticed it when i was zooming going from wide to tele and not vice versa. I believe that this might be normal, when i went to the store that the camera was purchased from i asked the sales clerk and he compared it to all the SD series he had. They all made the same sort of sound.

canon unlike many other manufacturers feature a ball bearing system in their lenses. this is what i believe you are hearing. you can also hear it if you hold the camera to your ear and shake the camera. you should be able to hear a rattling. this may sound annoying. but i believe it to be a great design in the aspect of the fact that it prevents the lens motors from getting damaged. very few other cameras feature such a design.

Quote Originally Posted by aldouse
    canon unlike many other manufacturers feature a ball bearing system in their lenses. this is what i believe you are hearing. you can also hear it if you hold the camera to your ear and shake the camera. you should be able to hear a rattling. this may sound annoying. but i believe it to be a great design in the aspect of the fact that it prevents the lens motors from getting damaged. very few other cameras feature such a design.
    Humm, i have the exact same problem
    but my friend's sd550 is much more smoother
    and ball bearning should cancel the noise right? how can it actually make noise?
    im a bit concerned about this because it may just add some friction to the motor since it is shaking the camera body a bit