Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tim11
    Was that you in the photo JTL?
    Was there any pos-processing? The sky looked threatening....
    Yeppers, that's me! And the sky was threatening, but it didn't stop me from climbing to the top. Plus, this is one of the few Mayan pyramids which you can explore the inside of. One of the coolest places I've ever been. If I get some time, I'll scan some others and post them.

The photo was taken with a Nikon FG with Fuji ASA 100 film. I scanned the 4x6" print on an HP 3330 MFP scanner and cleaned it up in PSP 10 (added a little contrast and removed dust and scratches...that's it).
    Last edited by JTL; 09-25-2005 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm
    Just out of curiousity, what are we considering ancient?

I'm thinking before the dark ages (4th to 11th century) here, or maybe up to the 13th century.

I guess it has to do with your frame of reference. My grandkids think I qualify for that classification, but I'm not even a bloody Visigoth (although my great-great grandparents are from Germany).
    i apologize if the one i posted is not ancient compared to most of the photos posted here. in middle east, europe and some other parts of the world, finding an ancient building/structure even before BC time is so easy. in my country, that church i posted is already one of the oldest building recorded. we don't have such ancient building like pyramid. afaik, the only recorded artifacts/materials/building in our country history is as old as what i've posted. probably, our islands philippines were not that great when it comes to ancient history.
    olympus c750uz + casio z750 + pentax *ist DS2
    http://www.pbase.com/explorer/trance

Explorer. What are you apologising for? Your photo has interesting history dating to 1700's. And since it is one of the oldest buildings in the Phillipines it should be seen in here.
    By starting this thread, I was hoping to see all the known temples around the world. Hopefully this will happen.

Hi there. Here are some shots from Greece.

The White Tower of Thessaloniki.

The Aspida Galeriou.

I used a Fuji Finepix 3800.
    Pentax *ist DS, Pentax smc P-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6, Pentax smc P-DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED
    Panasonic DMC-FZ20, Hoya UV filter

The Church of Agios Dimitrios, built in the 5th century.

The Church of Agios Apostoloi, built in 1310-1330.

The Roman Market.

Also with the Fuji Finepix 3800.
    Pentax *ist DS, Pentax smc P-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6, Pentax smc P-DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED

The Monastery of Transfiguration (the Great Meteora).

And other monasteries from the same area.

Hope you like them .

Thanks for these

I've been to Greece a squillion times (15, probably). It's been a while since I got to Thessaloniki, though. Nice to see it's still there. Never been to Meteora. Clearly it is worth seeing - but is it worth going to see?

It's a long way from everywhere, isn't it?
    Nikon D70s user

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Kennedy
    I've been to Greece a squillion times (15, probably). It's been a while since I got to Thessaloniki, though. Nice to see it's still there. Never been to Meteora. Clearly it is worth seeing - but is it worth going to see?

It's a long way from everywhere, isn't it?
    It's a 3 hour ride from Thessaloniki (240 km). And there are some rules regarding what you wear (if you want to visit the monasteries).

I was 'almost' certain THE ROMAN MARKET is screen capture from THE GLADIATOR?
    Very interesting. Thanks for the pics.