Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

I live in a one Stop light town in the middle of Indiana.

Nikons NEF file format of RAW

OK I am slightly confused. I am told that RAW is the best format to shoot in but When I choose RAW on my D70 I get this strange NEF file format and I have to go though each pictures as it loads into photo shop and OK the exposure and white balance. Surely there is a better way to open the files. But these files do not have the RAW file name but NEF file name.

Is there an easier way?
    Nikon D70 with Nikon 18-70m DX Lens

Candice Haase

I don't have Photoshop, so I cannot address that, but the .NEF is Nikon's version of the RAW format. Likely, you have this issue because of a little battle waged between Adobe and Nikon over Nikon's encryption of white balance information in their proprietary format. This issue may now be put to rest with Nikon's mini-SDK, which allows Adobe to access white balance while processing the rest of the picture data via Adobe's own routines.

Cheers,
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by mrshaase
    OK I am slightly confused. I am told that RAW is the best format to shoot in but When I choose RAW on my D70 I get this strange NEF file format and I have to go though each pictures as it loads into photo shop and OK the exposure and white balance. Surely there is a better way to open the files. But these files do not have the RAW file name but NEF file name.

Is there an easier way?
    Eric covered the RAW to NEF connection, so I won't elaborate.

If you want a quicker way to review NEF images, then try using RSE 1.1.3 or the latest version of Nikon Capture 4.

The "quality" of a NEF image is only as good as the RAW processor being used. I get better results, on average, in Nikon Capture 4 than Photoshop CS or RSE. It's an extra $100, but well worth the investment. Not as powerful as Photoshop, but easier and faster to use. RSE is great for quick review and minor editing, but lacks the range and accuracy of NC 4.

To be honest I use all 3 depending on the subjects and situation.

P.S. Buy more memory.

It will take a while to develope a work flow as you familiarize yourself with the controls, and their range/effect. But stick with it as it is worth the effort. In the short term you might want to consider shooting in NEF+JPEG Basic as a transisiton strategy.
    Last edited by D70FAN; 09-07-2005 at 02:51 PM.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

I have just purchased a d70s,i have adobe cs2 but to be honest I prefer to use a free program called rawshooter essentials 2005 to give my raw files a little tweek,I can also convert the raw files to jpeg.its free to download so why not give it a try,the only thing it lacks is a levels,hope this helps