Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising
 
 
 
   
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7

    Problem with Picture Project...advice please

    I am new to digital slr's & after installing Picture Project that came with my D70s. it worked fine, now it still recognises camera & opens up but stalla when attempting to tranfer pictures. It just doesn't transfer them.
    Has anyone else had this problem?
    How can I fix it?
    Is there any other transfer software that users wuold recommend in place of this?
    TIA,
    LA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6,924
    I have picture project loaded but I don't use it to transfer photos. Instead I use a USB card reader. Take the card out of the camera, put it in the card reader and it shows in Windows as a drive. You can then use anything you like to transfer the photos and you don't have to worry about draining the camera batteries (not a big problem these days I admit).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7
    Thanks.
    I have just ordered a card reader but liked the idea of software that automatically trnasfers the photos into a paricular folder with the date stamped on it.
    Any suggestions anyone?
    TIA

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Posts
    2,225
    Quote Originally Posted by K1W1
    I have picture project loaded but I don't use it to transfer photos. Instead I use a USB card reader. Take the card out of the camera, put it in the card reader and it shows in Windows as a drive. You can then use anything you like to transfer the photos and you don't have to worry about draining the camera batteries (not a big problem these days I admit).
    While I normally use a card reader, I was downloading some photos a couple weeks back and the card reader choked on several of the photos. I figured, what the hey, stuck the card back in the camera, hooked up the cable and it automatically downloaded all the photos with no problems. So, the moral of the story is, keep your options open.

    Cheers,
    Eric

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Posts
    2,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Angel
    I am new to digital slr's & after installing Picture Project that came with my D70s. it worked fine, now it still recognises camera & opens up but stalla when attempting to tranfer pictures. It just doesn't transfer them.
    Has anyone else had this problem?
    How can I fix it?
    Is there any other transfer software that users wuold recommend in place of this?
    TIA,
    LA
    My D70 is in the hands of unsavory thieves, so I don't exactly recall the fix, but you have to change a menu item related to the camera connection. It's in the manual.

    Cheers,
    Eric

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7
    Are you talking about PTP?
    I have this already set.
    TIA,
    LA

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Bo'ness, Scotland
    Posts
    39
    how about a free download called rawshooter essentials 2005,i find it a great wee program to download raw files from my d70s it also converts raw to jpeg,hope it helps

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Monterey Bay
    Posts
    6,027
    Quote Originally Posted by plumb
    how about a free download called rawshooter essentials 2005,i find it a great wee program to download raw files from my d70s it also converts raw to jpeg,hope it helps
    Aye, and it helps a lot more if you know where to download the wee program:

    http://www.pixmantec.com/index2.html

    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...


    http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    92
    Picture Project often chokes on me, and has from the start. I've installed and uninstalled it several times - it hasn't much helped. For now, I do my raw downloading and tweaking in Nikon View, then save and re-open in Photoshop for printing. For those unaware, you can find updates and full installs on free software at this site http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...185&p_cv=1.185

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Monterey Bay
    Posts
    6,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Angel
    I am new to digital slr's & after installing Picture Project that came with my D70s. it worked fine, now it still recognises camera & opens up but stalla when attempting to tranfer pictures. It just doesn't transfer them.
    Has anyone else had this problem?
    How can I fix it?
    Is there any other transfer software that users wuold recommend in place of this?
    TIA,
    LA
    Rule of thumb. Don't download pictures from the camera. Use a card reader. It's faster and more reliable.

    Second rule of thumb. Don't use Picture Project. You should be able to afford Adobe Elements 3.0 or at least download a freebee like GIMP, IRfanview, or RSE (for RAW images). You should have received a 30 day trial copy of Nikon Capture, so use it (but remember to download the 4.3.1 update after installing version 4).

    I can't remember a single person saying they are using Picture Project for their downloading and editing.

    Here are some freebees to try:

    http://www.gimp.org/

    http://www.irfanview.com/

    http://www.pixmantec.com/products/ra...ssentials.html

    Adobe elements is still better than the freebees, but hey, they are free!

    Have fun.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...


    http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •