Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Sony DSC H1 or Canon S2

I was ready to purchase the S2 but found out that the Sony has a much more powerful flash. I'm sick of poor flashes causing wasted indoor shots. How strong is the flash on the Canon? I'll also be using the camera for outdoor sports (track) shots. Does one of these cameras have a better sports mode than the other? Buying soon.

Those 2 were my choices before I jumped on the H1 and I never regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky8
    Those 2 were my choices before I jumped on the H1 and I never regret it.
    I recently purchased an S2 and I could say the same thing. But, that wouldn't exactly be helping tw2143. I didn't look into the H1 very much when I was purchasing (though I know it has potential). No offense, but I'm a little superficial about looks, and the H1 turned me off.

As far as flash goes, well...I haven't had the camera long enough to know, and certainly can't compare the two.

Maybe there are others with the H1 and/or S2 who have more experience with the camera's flash...?

How is the image stabilization on the H1?

I know that both cameras are good. My needs are fast shutter speed, a solid flash and limiting red eye. Also you can't zoom in movie mode on the H1 but can on the S2. Anyone out there with an S2?

Quote Originally Posted by tw2143
    I know that both cameras are good. My needs are fast shutter speed, a solid flash and limiting red eye. Also you can't zoom in movie mode on the H1 but can on the S2. Anyone out there with an S2?
    The H1 has better flash and less red eye. Flash ranges found on this site:

Canon S2: "a working range of 0.5 - 5.2 m at wide-angle and 0.9 - 4.0 m at telephoto -- about average"
    Sony H1: "a very impressive working range of 0.3 - 6.8 m at wide-angle and 0.9 - 5.2 m at telephoto."

The S2 can zoom while taking video, but check into "zoom noise" and "clicking". I can't do much video testing until I get a decent SD card.

The H1 focuses faster (always been high priority for me).

The S2 has more features (check to see if they are important) and is a little smaller.

Aside from the flash "power", what is important to you? If nothing else, go with the H1. Of course, there are add on flash adapters for the S2 (probably for the H1 as well) for even more flash.