Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 6 of 91 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
    Chileous - I love the lighting on your builing shot - and it's quite an odd/unusual one as well. Nice one!
    Here's a couple I took whilst working in Croydon yesterday - firstly
    an odd looking thing - just by East Croydn Station
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

And I can see this clearly from the top of my building - I have posted other pics of this one before (sorry - but it's interesting) We call it the threepenny bit building

& This is as you drive you to it from my building ...it was against the light so sorry for the poorer quality

Ooooh, I have lots of building pictures, but I'll have to get out the DVD I burned them to and re-crop some of them to share. Melbourne is full of gorgeous high Victorian buildings, and I love to photograph them.

In the meantime, though, I have this handy, taken just a couple weeks ago. It's the inside of Melbourne Central, a shopping centre in the heart of Melbourne's CBD (which also happens to have a good-sized train station below it). The tower is the old shot tower, which was once the tallest building in Melbourne. It's now totally enclosed in this glass pointy dome thingy inside the shopping centre, and even that isn't close to being the tallest building in Melbourne any more (Melbourne has what used to be the tallest building in the Southern Hemisphere, but a couple others have now been built that outdo it, but I digress).

Oh, dear, I got started on a topic that I adore: Melbourne architecture! Better stop or I'll be at it all day...
    Last edited by bonni; 10-10-2005 at 01:40 AM.
    Kodak z740

Quote Originally Posted by bonni
    Ooooh, I have lots of building pictures, but I'll have to get out the DVD I burned them to and re-crop some of them to share. Melbourne is full of gorgeous high Victorian buildings, and I love to photograph them.

In the meantime, though, I have this handy, taken just a couple weeks ago. It's the inside of Melbourne Central, a shopping centre in the heart of Melbourne's CBD (which also happens to have a good-sized train station below it). The tower is the old shot tower, which was once the tallest building in Melbourne. It's now totally enclosed in this glass pointy dome thingy inside the shopping centre, and even that isn't close to being the tallest building in Melbourne any more (Melbourne has what used to be the tallest building in the Southern Hemisphere, but a couple others have now been built that outdo it, but I digress).

Oh, dear, I got started on a topic that I adore: Melbourne architecture! Better stop or I'll be at it all day...
    Bonni, Bonni! Don't stop!!
    We're all interested here, and your single shot shared has whet my appitite
    to see more of your Melbourn (and elswhere?) building pics.
    Get those DVD's out and let's see some more.
    Thanks for joining in.
    Geoff

BWAHAHAHAH!!! You asked for it....

This isn't a particularly interesting shot, but the building is somewhat intereresting, as it was Australia's tallest, and is Melbourne's tallest. Until fairly recently, it was the tallest building in the Southern Hemisphere. It's officially named The Rialto, but it's sometimes known as Bruno's Big Erection, after the developer (Bruno Grollo) who built it.

Interestingly, now that The Rialto isn't the tallest building in the Southern Hemisphere any more, Bruno has plans for and is building an apartment building that will be taller and will be the world's tallest residential building (or the one with the highest level with residential space, I can't remember).

Anyway, The Rialto, viewed from the middle of the Yarra River (standing on the foot bridge that crosses between Flinders Street Station and the South Bank complex).

This was taken with my old digital camera, a Kodak CD3400.
    Kodak z740

The Victorian Artist's Society Building. It's not a great photo, but unfortunately, this very interesting building is now surrounded by big, ugly 20th century buildings and has poles and street lamps and such in the way, so this is about the best you can get (I guess it'd be better on a day when the light is better; this day was overcast and things look a little "flat").

According to their website:

The Building is on the Register of the Historic Buildings Council and listed with the National Trust of Victoria.

The Victorian Artists Society building was designed by Richard Speight Jnr., who won the competition for its design. The building incorporated the original studio built by Corben and Stuart for the Victorian Academy of Arts in 1874. The winning tender was submitted by William Massey and the building completed in 1892.
    bonni
    Kodak z740

East Croydon

Bonni - that's the way!
    Just keep popping those interesting morsels in and we'll keep lapping them
    up. This is what this thread is all about and your contributions are very
    welcome.
    Still close to home, for me, and more from my Sunday at work set.
    This one is just round the back/beside East Croydon station (Surrey England)
    Very close to my work. It's where the guys all go for a drink and where we
    have our Christmas dinner too.
    Geoff

Wow, I love that juxtaposition of the modern (those towers look suspiciously 70s to me, like some of the others you've shared ) and the more antique.

bonni
    Kodak z740

Maryborough Train Station, which is quite some distance from Melbourne.

Quoting from a tourism site for the area:

When Mark Twain visited Maryborough in the 1890s he described it as 'a railway station with a town attached'. It sounds like a rude remark but the Maryborough Railway Station is a wonder tobehold. It is huge and gracious: a vast 25-room edifice which is surely Maryborough's finest building. Erected in 1890, it is a red-brick structure with plenty of stucco trimming for contrast. Highlights include the ornate clock tower, Flemish gables, massive portico, marble dressing tables in the women's toilets, some attractive wrought-iron work on the verandah, oak wall panels and one of the longest platforms in the Southern Hemisphere. There are 14 tracks, although the railway line is now sadly defunkt.
    (Now I would have spelled that "defunct" but I'm American by birth, so what would I know? )

My brother-in-law is an absolutely rabid train fancier, and he organized a big presentation for an anniversary of the station. Apparently the Minister for Transport was there, among other interested parties (mostly train fanciers and locals, and a few journalists with cameras).

Anyway, here it is, the train station that has a town attached. I find it very sad that it's not really in use any more (although it is, at least, still maintained, and I understand there are offices and other things inside now).

bonni
    Kodak z740