Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 85 of 91 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687 ... LastLast
    I might think about throwing a little vintage vignetting on top. It would pull down the brightness in the lower left.

That's a great picture. Did you use a polarizer? If not, I'm thinking it could have reduced the glare off the building, increasing saturation in the color version. As it is I also prefer the sepia version. But it looks like a great spot to try again in each of the other three seasons.

Thanks everyone much appreciated comments. I wasn't sure about the sepia one at first myself but it's grown on me so much that I've set it as my winter desktop for a bit. Only used Picassa I'm feeling lucky and the sepia conversion for pp I've still not gone much past this in terms of processing skills. It seems to have darkened the blacks a bit too much I think and boosted the light area you mentioned Ken. I'll have to have a play when time allows, yes I think a vignette might work thanks for the suggestions. The mill is quite a distinctive building definitely in some need of restoration. A good candidate for Grand Designs Les I agree. I'd known it was there for a while but just hadn't got around to seeking it out. It's only about 15 minutes drive from me and then an easy 15 minute walk so I'll definitely go back. I didn't use a polariser on this raven as I don't have one big enough to fit the 14-150 that I use for pretty much everything these days. I think it would be a good idea though in the summer when the light levels are higher. Geoff your comments about straightening hit home with me. Although I posted the unstraightened shot I have had a go at straightening it as the skew annoyed me too. However, in Picassa when I straighten shots it seems to make them slightly fuzzy at the same time, not sure why? Also as I straightened the pillar the LHS of the building and the windows went off vertical and that looked even worse. It really deserves a more involved straightening effort to work properly and I'm afraid that's beyond me at the moment. More reason to improve my pp skills as slightly skewed shots do tend to irritate me a bit.

I didn't know anything about the mill so I did a bit of googling and found this walk that has a reference to it.
    http://mediafiles.thedms.co.uk/Publi...f/Trail_28.pdf

It looked shut up to me and I couldn't get close enough to look in the windows but maybe when the weather is warmer it might open?

Here's a bit more info from someone on flicker who had much greener shots than I did.
    An old disused water-powered saw mill halfway between Osmaston and Shirley in the Derbyshire Dales. Built around 1845 by Henry Stevens of Derby, it is constructed from limestone with a stone slate roof and has a roof similar in style to a Swiss chalet. The building has been Grade II* listed since 1985 (as has the adjoining seasoning shed), and is now used for storage. Although the listing information claims the wheel is overshot, it is obviously breastshot. Osmaston Hall, the centre of the estate, was demolished in 1964

And a bit more info for the real anoracks again from Google.
    This is a fine and interesting private site. The mill was converted to pump water for the estate using either the wheel or a Campbell gas engine. The plant survives in the building although the gas producer has gone. As I recall, there are several sets of pumps and a whole slew of gears.

As I was leaving I grabbed a slightly more straight on shot.

Name:  P1147949.JPG
Views: 172
Size:  345.3 KB

Unfortunately though Geoff as I now look at this one more closely too it also needs straightening a bit...so much for the spirit level on my tripod!
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Quote Originally Posted by TheWengler View Post
    Tikal - Temple II
    Amazing pic with the stars in the blue sky above the temple! Is it a night shot and moonlight?

Quote Originally Posted by val123 View Post
    Here are some pictures of Harnham Mill in Salisbury......Please feel free to comment.......

first a bit about the subject.....

Various Views....

The nature there must have been great. Based on the picture, it really sure is peaceful

best greetings 4U from Vatican & PapaRatzi
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Gintaras,

Wow, been a while since you have posted. Really like the light in the first shot.

yes, been a while, had many other things and also wasted some time on other hobbies... but photo shooting is addiction, so i was shooting non stop but was too lazy to do PP and raw to jpeg convert.
    now hope will show up more frequently, not with 2-3 year interruption. glad to find old good pals sitting here, great place for photography connoisseurs.

this one from Cesky Krumlov, a beautiful medieval town (UNESCO world heritage). magnificent place...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Lovely sharpness and colours there Gintaras. I especially like the Vatican ceiling shot, that worked really well. Nice to see you back.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them