Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 52 of 91 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by toriaj View Post
    It's a great shot, Lukas. The edited version is over-the-top for my taste, but I know lots of people enjoy that look so I have respect for it. I prefer the sky in the original, and the green grass is a little radioactive but it really is a good shot.
    Thanks Tori. I agree that it's overdone, but sometimes when you take a crappy picture of a great scene you just want to blast it with pp. I think I opened it to tweak something and screwed up the color profile. That's why it appears a little over saturated. I still don't really understand that stuff. I toned the color down some here.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by TheWengler View Post
    Thanks Tori. I agree that it's overdone, but sometimes when you take a crappy picture of a great scene you just want to blast it with pp. I think I opened it to tweak something and screwed up the color profile. That's why it appears a little over saturated. I still don't really understand that stuff. I toned the color down some here.
    Hey, I think it looks awesome! It reminds me of the Wizard of Oz.
    Nikon D7000 | D80 w/Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 | Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED | Nikkor 18-200mm VR | Nikkor AF D 50mm f/1.8D | SB-600 Speedlight | Manfrotto 055XB w/322RC2 Ballhead
    Flickr

I am mostly up to speed with PP work - except for layers which seem to be mostly a mystery.
    If I paste something on as a new layer - it covers the old - so what's the point? How are these layers blended - unless it is a cut and paste.
    Sorry to sound thick - but it really is something I don't understand - and when people talk about layers and making new ones etc - I don't get it.
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Chandler View Post
    I am mostly up to speed with PP work - except for layers which seem to be mostly a mystery.
    If I paste something on as a new layer - it covers the old - so what's the point? How are these layers blended - unless it is a cut and paste.
    Sorry to sound thick - but it really is something I don't understand - and when people talk about layers and making new ones etc - I don't get it.
    Well I'm certainly no expert but I'll see if I can explain better. I'm using Photoshop Elements 5. Other programs may be different.

1) Open image
    2) Create a duplicate layer
    3) Edit each individual layer separately as needed. For me I did the sky in one layer and the land/castle in the other one. You can hide a layer by clicking the the eye icon next to each layer in the menu on the right. All changes you make only happen to the highlighted layer.
    4) Select the top layer in the menu. Hold Ctrl and hit the "create new layer" icon. By holding Ctrl it will place the new layer underneath the top layer. Then select the top layer and hit Ctrl+G. When you do this all you will be able to see is the bottom layer. That doesn't make a ton of sense to me either, but it works.
    5) Select the new blank layer and a soft edged paint brush. Paint where you want the changes from your top layer to appear on the bottom layer. For example, if I have my foreground edit on the bottom and my sky edit on top the I'll paint over the over exposed sky and as I do so it will be replaced with the sky edit. It's like painting with a brush where you paint is whatever alterations you made to the top layer.

When you use layers you're not really using all of any of the individual layers. Either you do something like above and only parts of each layer are showing or make the top layer transparent (like I did for the soft focus edit). I hope this makes more sense.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Chandler View Post
    Geoff, I was in the same place as you a year ago, and now I use layers like a maniac One of the best things about layers is that you can vary the opacity. So let's say you just increased the contrast. Then you decide that you went too far. Instead of redoing it over and over until you get it right, you can just reduce the opacity of the layer until you like how it looks.

And as for the rest of the layer advantages ... I think you pretty much just have to get in there and try it to figure it out. But let me tell you it's worth it

And Lukas, the Picasa version's grass looks more normal now And I still think the original is NOT a crappy shot at all. You did a good job all around.
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

Esplanade in Singapore

=========================
    "Conform but always be yourself."
    =========================
    Nikon D300
    Nikon AF-S VR 18-200mm
    Nikon AF-S VR 70-300mm
    SB-800
    SB-20 with optical slave trigger
    Tamron SP AF28-105mm F/2.8 LD
    Vivitar Series 1 (AI-S) 28-105mm F/2.8-3.8 Macro
    Super Cosina 100-500mm f5.6-f8 MC Macro

Tripods:
    BOGEN 3021 with Cullman Ballhead
    Gitzo Tatalux
    Leitz Tiltall
    BlackRapid RS-2 strap

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nikx/

I found this site while being bored at work so I figured I would register and contribute...there are some GREAT photo's in this thread and I hope you like mine. Unfortunately, since I'm at work I can only post an older picture that has a large logo on it...oh well

This was taken outside the Science Museum in Minneapolis, MN.

great colors there, anhktruong. Welcome to the site
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

St Vincent de Paul church in Los Angeles.
    Name:  IMG_3542.JPG
Views: 267
Size:  123.3 KB
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

Heres a "few" shots from today, all taken in helsinki.

#1.Random old building in b&w.

#2.Art Museum

#3.

#4.Museum/Movie Theatre

#5.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/14807929@N05/

D40+Sigma 17-70-2.8-4.5 DC MACRO