Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

S2- for bird photos? - YES !!

I've been "playing " around with my S2 - and i must say - you can get good enough pictures of birds .
    Just for comparison : the close up picture is a 48x !!! zoom !
    The other pictures are at 12x zoom with the IS on .
    There's a long learning curve with this camera but it's worth it.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

nice pix...be proud of your achievements...!

Yep very nice pictures Doc - I like number 2 best. It makes you wonder what they all might be wispering to each other before they takeoff.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Digital Zoom?

I've got to assume that the 48x was the digital zoom. Having played with it on other cameras, where it really stunk, this is very impressive.

I love your birds sitting in a row ... looks like a real hen party!

Laura in TX
    Panasonic FZ7 and TZ1

Those are great, Doc!

I've only had my new S2 for three days now and I love it. I've got a lot to learn as I don't consistently get great shots with it yet unless I have lots of sunlight.

Thumbs up

Great Bird shots, Doc well done.

I've had my S2 for about 3 months now, taken about 5000 shots overall and still love it.

The learning curve is quite steep, but it is worth it.

Val

Canon EOS 20D
    Canon F2.8 100mm Macro, Canon F4 100-400 IS, Sigma 50-500mm, Sigma 70-300mm, Canon 18-55mm, Canon F2.8 50mm
    Canon S2 IS

My Photo Album

What the heck - here are a few of my bird shots taken with my S2 IS. These were at the 12x setting, then cropped down to 1024x768 for two of them...

Here's a chickadee at my feeder

Here's the same bird still pigging out

And here's a finch (i think) or as my kids say, pretty bird!

These are all taken hand held, 12x zoom, at the highest setting. I just sneak out the back door and snap some shots. Love the image stabilization!

Maybe this weekend I'll set up a tripod and a long usb cord and sit inside and try to snap some shots using the remote camera feature...

Steve
    S2IS and loving it...

How do I used this remote feature. What software???

The RemoteCapture software is included in the CameraWindow software that ships with the S2IS. It allows you to connect your S2IS to your computer with a usb cable. Then you can control the camera - change exposure settings, resolution settings, zoom in and out, pretty much everything but moving the camera physically. You can then click on a button to snap a photo, based on the viewfinder displayed on your computer. An additional feature is an intervalometer function - set the camera to take a predetermined number of photos at a set interval, from 5 seconds up to hours...
    So if I work it right, I can string a few 10 foot usb cables joined with a hub to put me about 20 feet from the camera, on my laptop. The camera would be focused on a bird feeder, but closer than I can get by just standing there... I'm not sure how the usb / hub / usb cable will work - may not be enough power...
    Steve

Very nice pictures, Doc.