Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote Capture

Question Remote Capture

Can anyone tell me, does Panasonic provide software similar to Canon's Remote Capture?

Remote capture software allows a computer to remotely fire a digital camera connected to it. Two key benefits are that images can be stored directly onto the computer's hard disk and that images can be immediately previewed on the computer monitor instead of on the small LCD of the camera.

Thanks in advance

JWalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Walker
    Can anyone tell me, does Panasonic provide software similar to Canon's Remote Capture?

Remote capture software allows a computer to remotely fire a digital camera connected to it. Two key benefits are that images can be stored directly onto the computer's hard disk and that images can be immediately previewed on the computer monitor instead of on the small LCD of the camera.

Thanks in advance

JWalker
    This is not a trick question - can someone answer this, please!

I'm only familiar with the FZ1 / 2 / 3 / 10 / 15 / 20. In reference to those cameras I believe the answere is no. Of the 6 models mentioned, the FZ20 just released is the only one to have "wired remote" for the shutter.

Quote Originally Posted by 10kzoom
    I'm only familiar with the FZ1 / 2 / 3 / 10 / 15 / 20. In reference to those cameras I believe the answere is no. Of the 6 models mentioned, the FZ20 just released is the only one to have "wired remote" for the shutter.
    Thanks for the reply.

The wired remote would be ideal when taking pictures using a tripod, if needed. But, what I am asking about is software. Do you know what software is bundled with the FZ20?

For an example of "Remote Capture" software please click here:

http://www.breezesys.com/DSLRRemotePro/

As you see, it allows the composing and viewing of shots on the Laptop or PC via USB or Firewire connector.

Thx JW

Unhappy

I think the answer, with 99.99% certainty, is no. Software control of the Panasonic FZ series cams does not exists. Have been a daily visitor to PTF (another rival forum) since I got my FZ10 last November and not once has this software been mentioned to exist.
    This would be such a great feature it certainly would have generated a great deal of conversation. And there would be no reason (for Panasonic and all FZ cam owners) to keep it a secret and not talk about it.
    Sorry!!

The FZ20 is very high on my short list of cameras.
    As a good deal of my pics will be at very low level and often on the floor (models/toys!), the lack of a tilt & swivel LCD has been holding me back - this is pretty well essential for my purpose.

However, on the Imaging Resource review of the FZ15, it was clearly stated that an external monitor COULD be used for framing and focus etc - the answer to my problem!

However, an Email to Panasonic (UK), after two weeks, came up with a reply that it is not possible. But I am not confident that their customer service is completely on the ball.

Certainly many cameras can do this without ANY special software (Kodak, Fuji and Sony that I know of) and if Panasonic Lumixes can't do it, I wonder why not?

Can anyone confirm one way or the other?
    Sadly, if it really can't, I am going to have to cross Lumix off my list altogether, but I really NEED to know for absolutely certain before doing that.
    Last edited by John Tropi; 11-16-2004 at 04:12 PM.

Thumbs up More than one way to skin a cat...

Quote Originally Posted by John Tropi
    The FZ20 is very high on my short list of cameras.
    As a good deal of my pics will be at very low level and often on the floor (models/toys!), the lack of a tilt & swivel LCD has been holding me back - this is pretty well essential for my purpose.

However, on the Imaging Resource review of the FZ15, it was clearly stated that an external monitor COULD be used for framing and focus etc - the answer to my problem!

However, an Email to Panasonic (UK), after two weeks, came up with a reply that it is not possible. But I am not confident that their customer service is completely on the ball.

Certainly many cameras can do this without ANY special software (Kodak, Fuji and Sony that I know of) and if Panasonic Lumixes can't do it, I wonder why not?

Can anyone confirm one way or the other?
    Sadly, if it really can't, I am going to have to cross Lumix off my list altogether, but I really NEED to know for absolutely certain before doing that.
    I think that Panasonic is probably right about viewing images on an external monitor; I don't think it's possible. However, if it's simply the ability to take "on-the-floor" shots without getting down there yourself, here's a suggestion: A former Life Magazine photographer who bought himself an FZ10 about 6 months ago (has since bought an FZ20), was frustrated by this same problem, so he devised a simple solution using a 2" mirror. Cheap but effective. Check it out!
    Let a be your umbrella!

John, thank you so much for that - I LOVE lateral thinking and ingenuity!
    That's probably enough to keep the FZ20 on my list, though I would much prefer a T & S LCD or a small external monitor.

A local shop is going to bring an FZ20 into stock, with no obligation for me to buy it, so I should get the chance to experiment a little with it. They have no reservations about plugging into a handy monitor, which is how I know for certain that some Sony cameras can do what I want.

it looks as though Panasonic's UK customer support is wrong, according to Low down in This Thread

Hopefully, I will find out for certain with hands-on later in the week.
    I'll report back, as this could be very useful information for others.

Yes an external monitor works on FZ3, 15, 20

Simply attach the included "video/sound out" cable to the "video/sound in" RCA jacks on your TV or video in card on your PC and presto, you see the LCD display on your screen. It works for all settings e.g. P, A, S, playback, etc. I'm not guessing - I just tried it with an FZ3.

This is a standard feature so I'm not sure what the folks at Panasonic were talking about.
    Last edited by geezer; 11-17-2004 at 03:25 PM.