Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help me please! Rebel XT or 20D

Ok i am sure this has been asked but i need help. I have been buying a new camera every year for the last year. Well it is now time that I need to get something and stick with it. I have never had a SLR but have heard and read alot.

My picuture taking is soley on our kids.....3 year old and 10 year old. Currently i have a sony cybershot DSC-T1...my biggest beef is that hardly any of my pictures come out great...As you know a 3 year old is always on the move and I always miss the moment. when i take the picture and if she was moving even the slightest it turns out blurry. When i take pictures inside i have to use the flash and the picture is always off in color and my daughter always has red eye. If i don't have the flash on and my iso at 400 (the highest on the camera) the picture comes out grainy.

So what do you think will be a wonderful camera for me....and lens. I know that jumping to one of these camera's will make a huge difference....but i have heard so much about both i just want to make sure i get the right one...i don't want to have to rebuy for awhile...

thank you keri

The Rebel XT would be the better choice given your needs. Just choose an appropriate lens to complement that camera, and you're set.

Any DSLR investment will at the very least last several years if not longer. The lenses your purchase will last for 10, 20 years if kept properly. And the best part is that when you do replace your camera, you'll still be able to (and certaingly want to) use your lenses on the next one. That's where DSLR's truly shine in terms of a long term investment.

I agree with Rex. But if you don't have smallish hands the 20D would probably serve you better.

I know that this is the Canon board, but you might also want to look at the Nikon D50 and the Pentax *ist DS in the same price range as the Canon XT.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Canon 20D or XT

Thank you George and Rex for your reply....in all the forums i have been looking at seem to think the 20D is the much better than the XT (i have not posted just reading).

Does it really just come down to the lens? If so what would you recommend me getting? Like I said my picture taking is for the kids....but i love to take pictures of them and do it almost daily. And i have a 3 year old who moves alot. )

My hubby who spent i think 5 minutes looking at the two said get the 20D...but he will never use it and has no clue.

Thanks again keri

have you considered one of the new P&S like the Fuji F10 or Olympus 800 that suposedly work well in low light?

I'm facing the same issue. Our 5 month old is starting to move around and while we love our cannon S50 and Casio ZX750 lowlight is not their forte.

DSLR is a valid lowlight answer BUT I'm turned off by the bulkiness of DSLRs, the cost (add a decent lens and it goes through the roof), the maintenance (never woried about dust inside my camera before), the loss of live histogram, live preview, and especially movie mode (which curiosly does better in low-light than the camera does, what's with that?).

Not thrilled with the "feel" of the F10, for the moment I'm holding out for reviews on the new iso 1600 Fuji's due out next month. For me it's not a new camera every year, but every 2 or 3 years, and I like it that way, lets me keep on on technology........

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    I have the XT. I also have the battery grip for the XT that allows me to use AA batteries.

Have you also considered the Pentax *ist D? That takes AA batteries and is cheaper and takes any lens Pentax has ever made.

actually, i think any d-slr would work very well for your needs. i personally feel that the main deciding factor is which camera supports the lenses you want to use. but if you are going to be shooting indoors with the flash even the cheap rebel kit lens should work very well. BTW you might want to have a look at this thread if you haven't already:

http://dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11795

similar situation as yours.

the only d-slr that might hold you back is the original d-rebel. it doesn't start up right away like all the others (though external flashes take even longer) and if you shoot in RAW (which you might want to do eventually) you can't take too many pictures in a row before the camera starts slowing down.
    canon 17-40 L, 70-200 f2.8 L, 400 f5.6 L, 50 f1.4 & f1.8, 1.4x TC, sigma 15 f2.8 fisheye, flash 500 DG Super, kenko extension tubes

note to self: don't participate in sad, silly threads unless you're looking for sad, silly responses.

"anti-BS filter" (from andy): http://dcresource.com/forums/showpos...94&postcount=4

Thank You so much

Thank you everyone for your posts...I am leaning towards and SLR....just have to decide which one now...and to get a good lens...my biggest concern is i don't like touse a flash...but the experience could be totally different with an SLR camera....but on my p &S camera everytime I use the falsh my daughter gets red eye and no matter what editing program i use her eyes never look the same. And then like stated before she is always on the move and I don't want blurry pictures....so that being said I am still at a XT or 20D..with a good lens....or do you think the XT and it's lens would work for me?
    Like I said Thank you again for all your help.

the thing about using flash indoors is that you want to point it up, bouncing the light off the ceiling. the shot comes out looking like a flash was never used, yet bright. that's why using something reflective to channel the light (like i mentioned in the link) from the built in flash on an slr type camera works, though not as nice or adjustable as a real external flash. i tried shooting a few hundred indoor pics using fast apertures but ended up regreting not using the external flash i already had. the problem: the occasional blurry pic and very shallow DOF. with the external flash pics come out consistantly nice but i get the occasional dark pic from trying the capture a fleeting moment while the flash is still powering up. the built in flash light channeling rig starts up quick but doesn't work for vertical shots and doesn't flood the room with light quite as nicely the external flash at the wide angle 17mm setting. life is full of compromises.
    canon 17-40 L, 70-200 f2.8 L, 400 f5.6 L, 50 f1.4 & f1.8, 1.4x TC, sigma 15 f2.8 fisheye, flash 500 DG Super, kenko extension tubes

note to self: don't participate in sad, silly threads unless you're looking for sad, silly responses.

"anti-BS filter" (from andy): http://dcresource.com/forums/showpos...94&postcount=4

Quote Originally Posted by kwork11
    Thank you everyone for your posts...I am leaning towards and SLR....just have to decide which one now...and to get a good lens...my biggest concern is i don't like touse a flash...but the experience could be totally different with an SLR camera....but on my p &S camera everytime I use the falsh my daughter gets red eye and no matter what editing program i use her eyes never look the same. And then like stated before she is always on the move and I don't want blurry pictures....so that being said I am still at a XT or 20D..with a good lens....or do you think the XT and it's lens would work for me?
    Like I said Thank you again for all your help.
    The XT, D50, and *ist DS all have great on-board flash, and red-eye is not even in the equation. Any of them will easily suit you needs for speed and utility. So buy the one that you like. You can't make a wrong decision from a performance and image point-of-view. You don't really need a 20D.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/