Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising
 
 
 
   
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3

    New to photography and need help!!!

    Im sure this question comes up on this board alot and am sorry Im asking again but I cant keep still when im shooting my pictures. I have a canon powershot a75 that I use to take pictures of stuff I post on ebay but they rarely come outclear. Any advice would be great. Thank you very much.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    2,635

    Red face If you can't keep still...

    Quote Originally Posted by lrgross
    Im sure this question comes up on this board alot and am sorry Im asking again but I cant keep still when im shooting my pictures. I have a canon powershot a75 that I use to take pictures of stuff I post on ebay but they rarely come outclear. Any advice would be great. Thank you very much.
    You either need to get a camera with an image stabilizer, like a Canon PowerShot S1 IS, or a Panasonic DMC-FZ3, et. al., OR, get a tripod. If you can't keep still, can't stabilize the shots somehow, you'll have many blurry shots. Of course, anything you can do to get fastest shutter speed will help, including using maximum aperture (is it f2.8 for your camera?), and even goosing up the ISO to a higher number will reduce blur, though then you might get undesirable noisy pictures. I'd try a tripod to start. I'm sure many eBay posters use tripods to get good shots of their merchandise.
    Let a be your umbrella!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5

    Decrease shutter speed

    Do what the title says, decrease the shutter speed, but make sure the lighting of your object is good (or the pic will come out dark). Or use a tripod!

    If you still have problems, use the running man mode on your canon.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3
    Thank you both for the advice. I will try it out when getting ready to post my next item. Also what is aperture?
    Last edited by lrgross; 11-30-2004 at 03:44 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    901
    "decrease the shutter speed"

    I assume that you mean increase the shutter speed, or have the shutter open for a shorter amount of time. For example a shutter speed of 1/100 second is faster than a shutter speed of 1/60 second.

    "what is aperture?"

    Aperture is how wide you have the iris opened in the lens when the photo is taken. In aperture, a smaller value means that the iris is opened up wider, letting in more light. The wider the aperture, the more light is exposed to the sensor which decreases the amount of time you need to have the shutter opened to achieve a correct exposure.

    With your camera, Canon A75, you have the option of shutter priority where you set the shutter speed and the camera sets the aperture, aperture priority where you set the aperture and the camera sets the shutter speed, or full manual where you set the aperture and shutter speed.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5
    On a couple of occasions I managed to compensate for not having a tripod by using the camera strap. Put the camera strap around your neck, hold the camera firmly in both hands and put some tension into the strap, now press your upper arms against your chest (creating a triangle between camera, neck-strap and elbows). This helps compensate for the movement generated when you press the button.

    Sounds an odd pose but can help.

  7. #7
    soulsolution Guest

    Av, Tv, P modes (Canon A75)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Schnoor
    "decrease the shutter speed"

    I assume that you mean increase the shutter speed, or have the shutter open for a shorter amount of time. For example a shutter speed of 1/100 second is faster than a shutter speed of 1/60 second.

    "what is aperture?"

    Aperture is how wide you have the iris opened in the lens when the photo is taken. In aperture, a smaller value means that the iris is opened up wider, letting in more light. The wider the aperture, the more light is exposed to the sensor which decreases the amount of time you need to have the shutter opened to achieve a correct exposure.

    With your camera, Canon A75, you have the option of shutter priority where you set the shutter speed and the camera sets the aperture, aperture priority where you set the aperture and the camera sets the shutter speed, or full manual where you set the aperture and shutter speed.
    Hi All,
    Just like most of the ppl in this string, I am a newbee to digital photography and I am eagre to learn more and take better pics. BY THE WAY, THE ABVE QUOTED TEXT WAS A GREAT PIECE OF INFORMATION. I have a Canon A75 camera and I slowly learning about Apertures/Shutter speed/Flash etc. Now, I know it is very hard to really explain in detail, but can anyone provide me with more examples on HOW and WHEN exactly use these various settings? I mean, WHEN shud we play with the aperture setting, and WHEN with the shutter setting and things like that?

    Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated.
    Shall look forward to all ur replies.
    Thanks!
    The above was some really good information.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    2,635

    It's all about lighting...

    Quote Originally Posted by soulsolution
    Hi All,
    Just like most of the ppl in this string, I am a newbee to digital photography and I am eagre to learn more and take better pics. BY THE WAY, THE ABVE QUOTED TEXT WAS A GREAT PIECE OF INFORMATION. I have a Canon A75 camera and I slowly learning about Apertures/Shutter speed/Flash etc. Now, I know it is very hard to really explain in detail, but can anyone provide me with more examples on HOW and WHEN exactly use these various settings? I mean, WHEN shud we play with the aperture setting, and WHEN with the shutter setting and things like that?

    Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated.
    Shall look forward to all ur replies.
    Thanks!
    The above was some really good information.
    When you take a picture, you look at it in the "Review" mode, and you say "Hmmmm. Looks too dark." That means that for the aperture you selected, your shutter speed was too short. So, you could either make the shutter speed longer (like go from 1/100 to 1/60), or you could make the aperture wider (like go from f5.6 to f4.0) On the other hand, if your picture seems to be too light, you have to do the opposite thing, either by speeding up the shutter, or narrowing down the aperture. Sometimes, you can't slow down the shutter speed, say if you're trying to shoot some action shots at maybe 1/125th of a second. So if the picture is too dark, your only option is to widen the aperture, say from f5.6 to f4.0. I hope you find that tidbit to be helpful.
    Let a be your umbrella!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    18

    Tripods

    If by chance you are living in the UK, get over to one of the Asda stores, preferably a Walmart (BIG Asda).

    They have got some STAR 42 tripods which in my humble experience, are pretty good for the money (15)

    It seems much more stable and robust than any of the Jessops ones on offer for the same money.

    QR camera mounting plate which is good, if a bit fiddly to get the camera on to start with.

    When is is set out, it seems very stable.

    Well worth the money if you are e-bay selling as there is nothing more appealing to buyers than a GOOD pic of what they are buying.

    Mind you I have only just started getting serious with Photgraphy (FZ20) and wouldnt claim to know it all so there may well be better options around.

    Cheers

    Les
    (Cr%p photgrapher, MTb wipit extraudinare)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •