Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

How do I turn off auto rotat?

(I mean auto rotate!) I have a Canon PowerShot S5IS, and have used it to take photos for my website (www.castofcharacters.com) for years (usually on Auto Setting, close up). I use Paint Shop Pro to edit (crop, rotate, re-size) the images before publishing them.

Often I will take a picture with the camera rotated 90 degrees, to fit the close up image into the screen better. I always rotate it to the correct orientation in PSP before publishing, and they look fine when viewed in Firefox or Windows Explorer.

It has just come to my attention that, when viewed from an apple product (Ipad, Iphone) the images are rotated to the original orientation instead of the upright one, and a Tech person told me that Apple views parts of the information in the image (EXIF) and reverts the the original orientation. He has very kindly fixed the images in my site.

I am trying to take new pictures today, and the (#%&***!!) camera auto-rotates the image so that when I hold the camera sideways to take a picture of a sideways item, it rotates it so that when I turn the camera right side up, the image still appears sideways.

Can I turn off this feature?

Thanks so much for any help you can give me!
    sculptor
    Last edited by sculptor; 11-20-2011 at 01:27 PM. Reason: typo

I would have thought turning the option off on the camera would not be possible. I would go for stripping the EXIF data or using some software like http://www.photome.de/home.html to alter it.
    Do you upload through a webform ? If so you could use imagemagick to strip the EXIF data on upload.
    Last edited by Anthony; 11-20-2011 at 01:39 PM.

Thanks for the information!

Hi Anthony,
    Thank you! I will look into that program, though I am dismayed that I can't turn off the auto-rotate feature.
    I use Microsoft FrontPage for my website, and just use the publish feature to upload updates.

It is strange that the software - not just your software but other software as well - does not always update the EXIF data.

reverts the the original orientation
    Another option a software developer thought would be useful without thinking things through! I did not know this happened either.

Is there a software update available for your version of Paint Shop Pro?
    Last edited by Anthony; 11-20-2011 at 02:17 PM.

I often use a free image viewer/manipulation program called 'Irfanview' (available from www.irfanview.net). When saving an image, there is an option called 'Reset EXIF orientation tag'. Ticking this will ensure that if you have rotated an image, it will stay rotated when viewed on someone else's system.

Re your S5-IS camera, you can turn Auto Rotate on or off via the Set Up menu.
    Nikon D7000 and a bunch of Nikon stuff oh, and some Canon p&s's too