Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

weird XT viewing alignment problem?

hi all,

okay, so I have this weird problem. well weird to me since this is my first dSLR. Let's say I'm taking a picture of a perfectly upright, rectangular, straight building. If i am looking through the viewfinder, it looks as if the building is subtly leaning to the right, not by much, but enough to notice and enough to make the picture look tilted.

in order to compensate, i have to angle the camera so it produces a 'straight' picture. does this make sense? it just recently started doing this so i'm not really sure of the cause. when i press the shutter release, the picture will come out crooked unless i compensate for it by tilting my camera in the opposite direction so the building can look straight.

any ideas as to what this could be? here's an example, with my camera held perfectly straight, yet the subject coming out as if tilted.

lemme know.
    Last edited by barnesquared; 08-23-2005 at 04:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by barnesquared
    hi all,

okay, so I have this weird problem. well weird to me since this is my first dSLR. Let's say I'm taking a picture of a perfectly upright, rectangular, straight building. If i am looking through the viewfinder, it looks as if the building is subtly leaning to the right, not by much, but enough to notice and enough to make the picture look tilted.

in order to compensate, i have to angle the camera so it produces a 'straight' picture. does this make sense? it just recently started doing this so i'm not really sure of the cause. when i press the shutter release, the picture will come out crooked unless i compensate for it by tilting my camera in the opposite direction so the building can look straight. at first, i thought the Washington Monument was just crooked but its my camera. tear.

any ideas as to what this could be? i could post examples but it would basically look like one tilted picture (with camera held straight, parallel to ground) and one straight picture (with camera tilted to compensate).

lemme know.
    It sounds like you're experiencing what's called "barrel distortion" where things on the outsides of the image appear to be bowed and the center is "normal". Some lenses are worse than others with this and most wide angle lenses have a good bit of it due to the perspective.
    Ouch.

the thing is, my problem started recently and i never noticed any barrel distortion before, especially for pictures such as these. im using the xt's kit lens (18-55). anyway, i posted an example picture in the original post of what comes out if i press the shutter release when holding the camera perfectly straight.

??

the thing is, my problem started recently and i never noticed any barrel distortion before, especially for pictures such as these. im using the xt's kit lens (18-55). anyway, i posted an example picture in the original post of what comes out if i press the shutter release when holding the camera perfectly straight.

??
    Looking at that picture, your ground isn't perfectly straight so it looks appropriately tilted to me.

EDIT: If you can retake that picture, use the shorter, bottom building as your basis for levelness, since all buildings are level (properly built ones anyways! ) and it would be in alignment with the Washington Monument.
    Last edited by cdifoto; 08-23-2005 at 04:21 AM.
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by cdi-buy.com
    Looking at that picture, your ground isn't perfectly straight so it looks appropriately tilted to me.

EDIT: If you can retake that picture, use the shorter, bottom building as your basis for levelness, since all buildings are level (properly built ones anyways! ) and it would be in alignment with the Washington Monument.
    Two things...both as cdi has pointed out...the horizon is not straight and there is also lens/perspective distortion...

60-seconds in PSP 9 (or CS2 or editor of choice) corrects both issues:

From another forum, similiar problem....

"Did you forget to put your right shoe on this morning?"

if you take a look at my original example again, that is what i see when standing perfectly level and looking through the viewfinder. if i look with just my eyes, the horizon is straight, but once i look through the viewfinder again, everything is just a little tilted.

could it be a lens issue? something misaligned?

i know i could correct it in photoshop but the camera shouldnt be taking pictures like that in the first place, and it just started recently.

if you take a look at my original example again, that is what i see when standing perfectly level and looking through the viewfinder. if i look with just my eyes, the horizon is straight, but once i look through the viewfinder again, everything is just a little tilted.

could it be a lens issue? something misaligned?

i know i could correct it in photoshop but the camera shouldnt be taking pictures like that in the first place, and it just started recently.
    You just aren't holding your camera level.
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by cdi-buy.com
    You just aren't holding your camera level.
    okay. is there anyone else with suggestions? cause im pretty damn sure i'm holding it level. i took 20 pictures of this same scene and i know that's not the problem. i even had my friends try it, same result.

okay. is there anyone else with suggestions? cause im pretty damn sure i'm holding it level. i took 20 pictures of this same scene and i know that's not the problem. i even had my friends try it, same result.
    What the camera sees is what you get as a photo. Tilt the camera. I never look through the camera and assume I'm standing level. I make the camera show the image as being level.

There could only be a problem with the camera and/or lens if you look through it and see a straight picture and it records a lopsided one.
    Ouch.