Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

E300 vs D70s vs 20D, opinions please.

I'm much in the same boat as another poster at the moment. Canon, Nikon or Olympus is my short list at the moment (D70s, 20D and E300).

The problem is, the E300 has a very clear price lead over here in Australia. These are some prices just off an etailer (I've gotten cheaper prices locally) but represent fairly well the price differences.

Canon EOS 20D with Canon 18-55 Lens
    $2,559.00 Inc. GST
    Canon EOS 20D with Canon 18-55 Lens

Nikon D70s with Nikon 18-70mm Lens
    $1,845.00 Inc. GST
    Nikon D70s with Nikon 18-70mm Lens.

Olympus E-300 Digital SLR Twin Lens Kit
    $1,369.00 Inc. GST
    Olympus E-300 Digital Kit SLR this includes a 14-45mm and the 40-150mm ZUIKO DIGITAL zoom lens, and the battery grip. No 2nd battery.

Note that the Canon is almost double the price of the E300 and sans a few features/extra's. None come with cards/bags (something I've factored a cost for across the board)

From the comments I've read, the E300 has a few issues (poor wide focus with the basic lense, pictures can be a bit to soft, poor ISO performance past 400) but my question to you is for that price point, do the short comings outweigh the value? (subjective of course )

After handling all three camera's, I like all 3, so I'm left with cons vs price. The cons of the E300 do not outweigh the price difference imo.

Also, is this situation similar in the US and elsewhere?

I think I've made my mind up but I have a few doubts still floating around so I thought I'd ask for a little guidance

Forget the 20D and consider an XT instead. The XT is sold in the US for $750 body only or a little over $800 with the 18-55 kit lens, putting it in a much more reasonable price range.

But apart from that, it really depends on what you plan in the future. If this is all you'll invest, the Olympus is a respectable choice for the price, but if you plan on expanding your lens collection in the future, the Olympus is not the best choice because the format is new and because the lens selection is far more restricted than what you'll find from Canon and Nikon.

Thanks for that Rex, I will check it out.

Are prices alot closer in the US? The reason I ask is that I'm due for a trip to California shortly (4 odd weeks) and if I can pick up the cam over there for a lot cheaper, it may be a viable option.

Thanks for the recommendation of the XT, I'll be sure to check it out.

Also, your lens buyers guide was excellent. I'm vaguely familiar with most of what you were talking about but I'm in that baby steps phase where I want to move up to a more hands on camera but still a little shy on knowledge. Having the info pitched in a very understandable format (at least for me ) was great.

Also, consider a D70 over a D70s.

There is a firmware upgrade that upgrades the software on the D70 to the same as the D70s and I reckon it would be better to get the D70 and keep some cash for a lens. You should be still able to pick up a discounted D70 somewhere, reasonably cheap, and I find it a marvellous camera, and the controls look easier to use than the XT (350D).

General opinion seems to be that the kit lens on the D70 (18-70) is far better quality than the XT (18-55) kit lens.

Personally I prefered the feel of the D70 in my hand to the XT, but the XT has more pixels (8.2 v 6.1). Both seem to be great cameras though, and you won't go wrong with either.

OR...

If cost is a factor and you like the E300, maybe you should look at the Nikon D50. Should be about the same cost as the E300 but with much better performance and features. A nice well rounded camera.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

The Kit lens on the XT is rubbish compared to the AF-S DX that comes with the 70 and 70s. That isnt to say that Canon doesnt make good lenses, it just means that by the time you buy an equivalent lens for the XT, you are spending more than what the D70s would cost you.

The XT itself is a great camera, but I wouldnt want to use one without the optional grip and second battery, to get it into the same league as the D70 in terms of shots per charge and comfort of use/ergonomics.

I like the 70s over the 70 for the larger LCD and the cable release option, which is nicer when shooting on a tripod.

Aye, the D70 is available for about $1500 AUD for the base model and lens. The XT (350D over here) sits at about the $1450 mark factoring in a $150 rebate. The inclusion of battery grip and 2nd lens for the olympus is attractive but not a deal sealer.

Decisions decisions. I must admit the D70 or D70s is my preferred pick but I'm unsure if the budget (and the better half) will let me go that far

I think I'm starting to put things into perspective and have decided to stick with the E300. The cost is outstanding despite it's flaws, and the few sticky points I've kinda made peace with. It's a nice cheap (relatively) entry to dSLR camera's for me and if the 3/4 format does peter out, I can always upgrade to a more full featured brand/model down the track. For the time being though, it does seem to fill my needs and I've found test shooting with it to be a pleasent upgrade to my old point and click Canon.

Thanks for the input and information though guys. Really appreciate it.

I'll have to tack up some of my amateur attempts for a bit of professional critique once I get back from the US

Quote Originally Posted by asmodai
    I think I'm starting to put things into perspective and have decided to stick with the E300. The cost is outstanding despite it's flaws, and the few sticky points I've kinda made peace with. It's a nice cheap (relatively) entry to dSLR camera's for me and if the 3/4 format does peter out, I can always upgrade to a more full featured brand/model down the track. For the time being though, it does seem to fill my needs and I've found test shooting with it to be a pleasent upgrade to my old point and click Canon.

Thanks for the input and information though guys. Really appreciate it.

I'll have to tack up some of my amateur attempts for a bit of professional critique once I get back from the US
    I think you may regret that decision over the D50 with 18-55 kit lens. But it's your money. Good luck on using those Olympus lenses on anything else, and the 2X crop will put a serious limit on what you can buy from the 3rd party suppliers.

Just my opinion.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm
    I think you may regret that decision over the D50 with 18-55 kit lens. But it's your money. Good luck on using those Olympus lenses on anything else, and the 2X crop will put a serious limit on what you can buy from the 3rd party suppliers.

Just my opinion.
    I don't want to sound too pushy either, but you should think things out a bit more. As George said, your third party lens choices are very limited at this point, and believe us all, you'll most likely be being at least some of your lenses from a third party either because

1) They are cheaper by 50% and offer more or less the same quality.
    2) Your first party manufacturer doesn't make such a lens.

As I said previously, it depends on what you are committing to. If you do plan on extending your lens collection, I'd still recommend getting a D50 or an XT (your pick) instead because the Canon and Nikon collection is far larger than any other, and the third party support for these two is markedly better than for any other camera company. Buy for the long term and not because the original investment was the cheapest.

I know we can be idealistic and stick out for the small guy, but this is not one of those cases. Nikon and Canon are offering the more compelling product, and have the sales and stats to show it.

Brick and mortar stores in the US sell things rather expensively. Is it possible for you to order from a US site and have it ship over? Both the D50 and Rebel XT can be had for much less than list price from reputable places like Buydig and cost only marginally more than the Olympus. If you buy in a brick and mortar, then Olympus does have that price advantage.