Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

2Q--memory cards and red filters

A high speed card was purchased with my Nikon D50. I also bought a regular non-high speed card from Circuit City. I haven't opened that one yet, and am considering taking it back to exchange for the high speed. Is there that much difference that I should exchange, or is the difference so small that it isn't worth the touble.

Second question. I read that the B+W red filter brings out the contrast in skys and also brings out the red and yellows in fall foliage. In looking for one (which is difficult because I want to make sure I get the right one), I also saw a red-orange filter which looks like it may even do a better job. Anyone have experience with these and where is the best place to purchase. Thanks all.

doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    A high speed card was purchased with my Nikon D50. I also bought a regular non-high speed card from Circuit City. I haven't opened that one yet, and am considering taking it back to exchange for the high speed. Is there that much difference that I should exchange, or is the difference so small that it isn't worth the touble.
    Doug - IMO go with the higher speed card. Here is a link that reviews card performance for the D70 CF Performance (they don't have the D50 yet and am assuming they may be close)

Second question. I read that the B+W red filter brings out the contrast in skys and also brings out the red and yellows in fall foliage. In looking for one (which is difficult because I want to make sure I get the right one), I also saw a red-orange filter which looks like it may even do a better job. Anyone have experience with these and where is the best place to purchase. Thanks all.

doug
    I don't know about the D50, but my Canon 20D has a filter setting in the parameters available when shooting in b&w. Hope this helps.

Dennis