Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    sorry but the noise on the FZ20 is no way as bad as the FZ30. it is very usable at ISO 80 and 100. the only thing i really think is lacking on the FZ20 is a better placement of the shutter release. i mean for christs sake...."go go gadget finger...."

looks like i'll be heading for a dslr, though i'll probably print a few of jeff's pics to see just how good/bad the image quality is. jeff's review was well written for me, and the one thing that definitely stood out was the camera's image quality. would have been an easy sell if the complaints were button placement or ease of use - but i can't fathom spending $700 on a camera where any pic about say 5x7 might look crappy. was expecting more from panasonic in this camera...

The review gives me pause. I have the FZ20; two reasons I was looking forward to the FZ30 were the AE lock and higher res EVF because I like being able to preview spot metering in the EVF. Two reasons I may hold off on upgrading: noise and no RAW processing support. This last one is outrageous. Why offer RAW if you can't process images shot in that format?

The Nikon D70s two lens outfit is looking mighty good . . .

FZ20 noise is still noticable at 80 and 100 IMO. Besides, either camera can produce fine 4x6-8x10 prints. If you're going to post process either way for larger prints, then you might as well own the camera with the vastly improved feature-set.

Just my .02...

One question on the review.
    It says "That was a rather long discussion about noise, and here's the bottom line. Noise levels are higher than average on the FZ30, most notably at ISO 200 and 400. Smaller sized prints look fine, even with the noise. Larger prints will have noticeable noise at the high ISOs. If you're making large prints, the best option is to try one of the noise reduction products out there, like NeatImage and Noise Ninja. They turned my noise and grainy 8.5 x 11s into something much better, and without too much trouble"

I would be shooting 95% (or more) of my photos for sure at ISO 100 or less anyway, I never did use higher films back in the film days. So would I be able to print 8x11 without NR and have noise free prints because I'm using lower ISOs? And if I go even bigger to 20x30 at this ISO and then use NR would they be pretty well noise free? Being from the film era I don't totally understand noise yet, but wonder if it's a lot of fuss over something small, such as the big fuss over grain in ISO 400 films years ago, I used them so rarely and when I did I didn't notice much grain like others were complaining about.

If Genece has printed these photos that have been complained about (without NR) at 8x11 and they are noise free...how bad is it?

I've already seen this camera and love everything else about it, no other company is even close to the features of this camera IMO, so my dilemna is I don't want my only camera to be a high end camera that I can't do enlargements off of and on the other hand I don't want to skip buying the camera because some might think it should be able to do poster size prints right out of the camera with no noise and have this sway me.

Just my thoughts...

I'm not sure how genece printed his pics, but when I printed an 8x10 the noise was very apparent and it was only ISO 200. The loss of detail is a very large concern. I have the NeatImage NR plug-in with Photoshop and when I try to reduce the noise the image looks like a watercolor. $700 for this level of IQ is crazy. I have the FZ 20 and the noise is less apparent. Panasonic put all their R&D money into megapixels and tricky features not the picture produced. Maybe if I was buying my first UZ it might be tempting, but I'm going with the Minolta 5D with AS and great images and all the benefits of clean ISO and DOF control. Too bad could have been nice.

Although he mentions it in the text, Jeff doesn't include the proprietary battery in his list of things he didn't care for.

For me, this is the biggest drawback of this camera (after the noise ). We spend some of our holidays a long way from electricity so rechargables are not really an option - even if I knew what type of mains adaptor to take!

My existing camera works on 4 AAs. For day-to-day shooting I use some 2400mAh rechargable NiMHs and these usually last me for well over 300 shots. Also, I can recharge these in around 30 minutes - much faster than you can the FZ30 battery. But for long trips away I switch to Energizer Lithium one-shot cells. Their capacity is good at 3000mAh, they have a 15-year shelf life, they still work at -40 degrees and they are very, very light.

IMHO, going with AAs is the flexible solution - a proprietary battery is definately not.

that says it all "it could have been nice" and it should have. why o why is this obssession with MP. they should have just stuck with the 5MP or made it a DSLR.

In technology terms, its a marvel. But the focus (no pun intended) is in the wrong area. it is photo quality we crave. The irony is that the 8MP should allow you to print bigger sizes but the noise does not allow it.

Massive disappointment.

Thanks for your review Jeff. Your reviews are the only ones i go by these days!

A Panasonic rep should be reading, and paying close attention to this thread!

Not sure if this will change anyone's mind but this zShop on Amazon has it in stock for $399. http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/...660337-7666429

They also have the LX1 for $399. Anyone have any experience purchasing from these type of sellers on Amazon? Many of the same comments have been made about the noise on the LX1 and I may still bite eventually since it offers so many nice features and noise on other point and shoots are similar.