Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

my 2 cents

The challenge with DSLRs (IMO) is weight and hassle. My friends with them confirm that the low-light performance is great, but neither lens you mentioned is as fast as the Panasonic's, and I don't think they have IS. I used to backpack with a film SLR w/ Tamron 28-200 lens -- having a single lens to cover the range you like is handy. (Also backpacked with 4x5 and 2 lenses & cut film holders when I was trying for enlargable images) -- I found simpler & lighter was better, especially as I got older!

Good camera and deal, but you will need to be fit.

Quote Originally Posted by bklassen
    HappySnapper,

I've done some research, and I think I've settled on what I'm going to buy to satisfy my DSLR fetish...

For just $300 CAD more than what you paid for your FZ30, I can get the following:

- Nikon D50 DSLR body
    - Tamron 28-80mm F/3.5-5.6 AF Zoom Lens
    - Tamron 75-300mm F/4-5.6 LD AF Macro Lens
    - 1GB SD card
    - USB Card Reader
    - Camera Bag
    - Lens cleaning kit
    - Video/Photo tripod

... all for the wonderful price of $848 USD!! ... don't believe me? Check it out for yourself - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Pretty crazy how these things are coming down in price and how you can find solid deals if you take the time to look.... Anyone's thoughts on this package? I'm pretty much sold on it...
    BKlassen,

If that's what you think you need and the price sounds good why wouldn't you do it ?
    It's not for me however, even if it were cheaper than the FZ30. Not that the Nikon isn't a fine camera, I'm sure it is; Its just that I would have to pay extra to get the hernia fixed from carrying all that stuff around.

The FZ30 provides brilliant photos without having to worry about swapping lenses and putting the thing on a tripod to get rid of camera shake etc etc.

I used to do all that years ago, and had hoped that modern technolgy as expressed in the FZ30 would save people from that agony.

Best of luck (sincerely)

Quit complaining and buy a DSLR, Canon EOS digital rebel costs only a little more than FZ30 and its image quality is top notch!

Many people go with the 12x zoom, 8 mpx ccd, and stuff... I have an FZ10 (I guess im the only owner of that model lol) and i RARELY use more than 3x zoom; i also think 4 megapixels is far enough if you aint gonna print huge pics or not even print em at all, the canon eos has 6 megapixels vs 8 mpx of FZ30, but once again, I'd go for the superb image quality of the eos intead of a huge noisy image of the fz30.

with Canon DSLR's you can set as much as iso1600 (and some models even more) and get almost noise-free pictures, figure it out!

Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    Quit complaining and buy a DSLR, Canon EOS digital rebel costs only a little more than FZ30 and its image quality is top notch!
    Some might consider the 15-30% higher initial price of the EOS over the FZ30 more than jsut a little. (based on the diff between the 2 lowest prices available and the 2 highest prices available, works out to $165 diff on the low end prices, and a $100 diff on the high end prices)

Add in the cost of extra lenses (as alot of the ppl here are interested in the IS UZ), tripod, etc and the inconvenience of lugging that stuff around (right, dadster?) and the difference in the cost is more pronounced.

That being said, if you wanna be (or are) a real pro, I guess dSLR is the way to go. If you enjoy the extra convenience of an all-in-one, the noise is not an issue for you, or you are a novice (like me, probably explains why the noise doesnt bother me ) and want a transition into the dSLR realm then by all means go for the FZ30

But once again, I am not a pro. This is just MHO

Pacpanic Guest

Red face FZ30 Noise

Has anybody here ever talked to Panasonic about the noise issue?

FZ30 is no joke!

I have owned an FZ1 (still do) 10/2 x20s/5 and now a 30..All the highly amusing misinformation and conjecture about noise and many other 30 'attributes' are in my humble opinion 'codswollop'..The 30 is one hell of a camera..
    Cheers
    Billy
    Some of my 'proof' can be found here...
    http://wigandia.smugmug.com/gallery/851790
    also late September at the same site!
    P.S. If you don't like plant/garden photography..don't look!!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy@Martin
    I have owned an FZ1 (still do) 10/2 x20s/5 and now a 30..All the highly amusing misinformation and conjecture about noise and many other 30 'attributes' are in my humble opinion 'codswollop'..The 30 is one hell of a camera..
    Cheers
    Billy
    Some of my 'proof' can be found here...
    http://wigandia.smugmug.com/gallery/851790
    also late September at the same site!
    P.S. If you don't like plant/garden photography..don't look!!
    I am tending to agree with this opinion. Most of the people who cannot tolerate the noise (which is their perogative) seems to also be dSLR users.

I have a friend going to Hong Kong next week.. Asked him to picka FZ30 up for me if he can find a good price.

dSLR users and the big bang theory...

[QUOTE=hybrid77]I am tending to agree with this opinion. Most of the people who cannot tolerate the noise (which is their perogative) seems to also be dSLR users.

I have a friend going to Hong Kong next week.. Asked him to picka FZ30 up for me if he can find a good price.[/QUOTE..Hybrid77]

Yep..No amount of great equipment will create half decent photographers..It comes down to this..What are you shooting..What are you doing with those images..and are you up to the task..most high end equipment is probably wasted in the wrong hands..AH the prestige!! The FZ30 is fully capable of producing ALL that most people require a camera to DO..those who are concerned about this 'noise' biz probably have problems with 'grey' hairs!!
    Onwards...
    Best Wishes
    Billy.
    www.wigandia.com

the noise issue

Quote Originally Posted by Pacpanic
    Has anybody here ever talked to Panasonic about the noise issue?
    What 'noise' issue?
    Best Wishes
    Billy.
    www.wigandia.com

Hong Kong Warning !!!

Quote Originally Posted by hybrid77
    I am tending to agree with this opinion. Most of the people who cannot tolerate the noise (which is their perogative) seems to also be dSLR users.

I have a friend going to Hong Kong next week.. Asked him to picka FZ30 up for me if he can find a good price.

I was in Hong Kong two weeks ago and saw many FZ30's on sale. If your friend doesn't know Hong Kong too well, be sure to tell him to steer well clear of Nathan St and probably all of Tsim Sham Tsui. I trudged all around the district and the cheapest "genuine " price I could get was HK $4550. That equates pretty close to Au$800 but that didn't give me a WorldWide guarantee. There were plenty of scams where they gave me a price of HK$3500 only to find out that I "had" to buy a 2gig SD card and battery from them for another HK$2000. When I said that all I wanted was the camera, suddenly it was not available any more.
    Several guys even tried to palm an alternate camera off to me. I was told that the sellers are a little more honest in Kowloon and Mong Kok.
    In the end, I bought the FZ30 from Singapore for better price and a World guarantee from a much more straight forward seller. The camera is all that I expected and more.