Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Review on FZ30 here! So who has changed their opinion on it?!

One statement said it all for me "The FZ30's weak point is its image quality". well correct me if i am wrong but i dont buy a camera for bad image quality as i wouldnt buy a washing machine that doesnt wash my clothes.

as feared noise is very bad.
    You still getting one genece?! I fear that even a well exposed shot on this one would be noisy.

Count me in (or out)... :(

The noise thing killed it for me. I like the f11 and the mocked-up extra zoom and longer shutter times. But the noise killed it.

Maybe the FZ40 will do it.

I, for one, am extremely disappointed. This camera has everything I want - except the ONE main thing you buy a camera for - quality pictures. I guess my search goes on. I thought Jeff went much too easy on Panasonic in his review. How many other reviews has he let a camera off so easy when it had such levels of noise? Even at ISO 80!!! Maybe, like me, he was so enthusiastic about the rest of the camera he had a hard time being harsh. Who wants an 8MP camera that requires post-processing software to achieve acceptable results? True, most of your prints will be ok for 4x6 -- but, hey, I could get good 4x6 prints from a much less expensive 3 or 4MP camera.

I sure wish Sony would update the F828. But they will probably wreck it too by upping it to 10MP and introducing more noise. When will these companies take a good camera -- like the DMC-FZ20 and work merely on resolving the problems without feeling it necessary to up the pixel count at the expense of picture quality?????

Quote Originally Posted by kentuck1163
    When will these companies take a good camera -- like the DMC-FZ20 and work merely on resolving the problems without feeling it necessary to up the pixel count at the expense of picture quality?????
    Because MP and x factor are "sexy" and sell the camera to the general consumer. 8MP is the new "got to have" and everyone is going for it, not realizing they don't need it.

I'd love my FZ20 to have f11, 60 second shutter speed, and maybe up to ISO 1600. 5MP is plenty for me.

yeah here here. i think Jeff loved the FZ20 (didnt you jeff ) and couldnt bring himself to berrrate the FZ30. in all fairness it has outstanding features but lets itself down on its purpose (for good photos!).
    I dont think the FZ30 will have that many takers if they are educated enough to read up on it.
    Although i am not saying anyone who does buy it is not educated

Suffice to say i wont be changing my FZ20 just yet (especially since i just blew a load of money on lovelifes ebay site.....i will post on this when goods arrive. very happy with service so far...)

So long live FZ20...Sorry to the member who just sold his

Magotari Guest
    I got registered just to post this.

I am outraged by the noise generated by this camera.
    I like my images clean and neat, and FZ30 fails to provide that.
    I want to sell my pictures, so I do need the extra 3 megapixels, but the noise is making the deal not worth the hassle.
    So... I am staying with FZ20 for now. Maybe someone with a lot of mercy will buy smaller prints. *sigh* What a dissapointment.
    I might be a fool, but I just do not want to clean the noise. I do not want it there in the first place.
    Future: FZ40 or a DSLR.
    Last edited by Magotari; 08-18-2005 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Self-correction/Clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuck1163
    I thought Jeff went much too easy on Panasonic in his review. How many other reviews has he let a camera off so easy when it had such levels of noise? Even at ISO 80!!! Maybe, like me, he was so enthusiastic about the rest of the camera he had a hard time being harsh. Who wants an 8MP camera that requires post-processing software to achieve acceptable results? True, most of your prints will be ok for 4x6 -- but, hey, I could get good 4x6 prints from a much less expensive 3 or 4MP camera.
    Believe me, it was a tough balancing act. I don't want to write a hack job of a review, but I didn't want to let them off the hook either. I was also trying to be realistic about how noise affects prints, which is how most people share their photos.
    Jeff Keller
    Founder/Editor, Digital Camera Resource Page

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Keller
    Believe me, it was a tough balancing act. I don't want to write a hack job of a review, but I didn't want to let them off the hook either. I was also trying to be realistic about how noise affects prints, which is how most people share their photos.
    I for one thought it was a fantastic review - spot on, in my opinion. You did a great job of illustrating the noise problem in 'real life' situations, and saying who should and should not have a problem with it.

But I agree... It's so completely infuriating to encounter that silly noise issue! It's as if the Panasonic engineers are blind or dumb to such an obvious problem. If I were Panasonic there would be no WAY I would release the FZ30 without addressing the issue.

Unfortunately, the camera is perfect in just about every other way. So good that it makes me really regret picking up the FZ20 1 month ago. I would gladly own the FZ30 instead (let's face it, the FZ20 noise issue is just about as hellacious, plus you still have to deal with the lack of many other features as well). I don't know if I can justify taking the price hit to upgrade so soon... What's more, if I was to do so, it would be almost foolish to upgrade to a camera with equivalent (poor) image quality - I might as well go DSLR and do it right...

What a dilemma. It's SO close to perfection... Somehow I doubt Panasonic will fix the issue or release a firmware revision addressing the noise for the FZ30

Anyway, superb review.

sorry but the noise on the FZ20 is no way as bad as the FZ30. it is very usable at ISO 80 and 100. the only thing i really think is lacking on the FZ20 is a better placement of the shutter release. i mean for christs sake...."go go gadget finger...."