Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Masking Technique: B&W with a touch of color

Masking Technique: Black and White photos with a touch of colour.

Program used: Adobe Photoshop 7

If you are anything like me, I love black and white pictures. Depending on the picture, a black and white photo can give a picture a different characteristic. Inspired by many shots I’ve seen which had a touch of colour on a black and white image I decided to experiment with different masking techniques to get the look and feel that I wanted.

This tutorial is very easy to follow and can be done by anyone who is familiar with Photoshop.

For this tutorial I will use one of my wedding photos, and it is a good excuse to show of my beautiful wife!

At this point I won’t get into adjusting levels and curves and fixing over or under exposed images. I will presume that these things have been done already. Now let’s get to the steps involved to get this effect.

The first thing we have to do is copy the original image onto a new layer and name them respectively. I named them “original colour” and “black and white”.

Now, with the new layer created, we need to make it black and white. You can do this a number of ways but the easiest way for this tutorial is to go under Image> Adjustments> Hue and saturation. Simply grab the saturation slider and decrease the saturation all the way until your image is black and white. You results will be one coloured layer, and one black and white layer (seen below), with the black and white layer at the top (seen below).

Now here’s where it gets fun and you will be surprised how easy it is.

With the b&w layer selected go under Layer> add layer mask> reveal all.
    Make sure you are on the b&w layer and select the eraser tool. Select a soft brush, depending on your picture the brush size may vary. For this I used a 40px brush and later decreased the size which we will get into later. Set the opacity to 35%.

Make sure that you are on the black and white layer and click on the mask layer so that it is highlighted.

Now, using the eraser tool, simply brush over the area you want color to show. For finer edges use a smaller brush size. It would be best to zoom in at the intended target.

Some of you might be wondering, “why not just use the eraser tool instead of using the mask?” Well you can do it that way, but the one of the benefits of using a mask for this technique is that the original photo won’t be affected. So if you ever have to go back to the original, you could always discard the layer mask.

After you have gone over all the areas you wanted colored….that’s it! Your results will be a Black and white photo, with a hint of color!

Canon Digital Rebel 350D (XT)
    Canon 100-400mm F4.5 L, 85mm 1.8 18-55mm,

You create your reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyger
    If you are anything like me, I love black and white pictures. Depending on the picture, a black and white photo can give a picture a different characteristic.
    Tyger - I love b&w shots, there is just something about one that color can't touch, as you say, depending on the shot. This is a neat little technique I've used in the past on some shots. Seems to me that b&w is making a comeback lately. Thanks for sharing.

Dennis

Very nice tutorial, Tyger! Thanks. Very well written and easy to understand

Keep it up man!

Tyger, I hope you dont mind me posting pics in this thread, but I thought I'd help give other people some more ideas on how you can make this work for ya in photos Hope you enjoy!

D Thompson- Thanx man, I do see B&W making a comeback as well, i've always been a big fan!

X3RO- I don't mind at all! I'd luv to see if others have tried it. I think you've used this technique in a great way! nice work.
    Last edited by Tyger; 08-21-2005 at 09:51 PM.
    Canon Digital Rebel 350D (XT)
    Canon 100-400mm F4.5 L, 85mm 1.8 18-55mm,

You create your reality.

Thumbs up Excellent tutorial

Tyger, I've never tried anything like this & often wondered how it was done. Thanks for sharing this technique you make it sound fairly easy and the very striking results you & x3ro posted have certainly inspired me to have a go - just need to negotiate a bit of spare time! Well done guys.

Dam that rocks i had to try it myself.
    One of my wife in the New Zealand Ironman last year.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Great job carbine! Technique was used very well

The only downside to this technique is that it's very time consuming and tedius, but the results are phenomonal if you use it properly

My first go at it this evening:

Hope you guys enjoy

Another great Technique Tyger! Here's a couple of mine:

Canon 5D ● Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L ● Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L ● Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L ● Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM ● Sigma EF-500 DG Super Flash.

Awesome tutorial. I hope more & more people are sharing their Photoshop techniques. If we can make some of these tutorials as stickys, members of the forum will no need to purchase expensive photoshop tutorial books.

I actually tried this technique many weeks ago after reading an article in a photography magazine (don't remember which one). So I got back home and googled a tutorial that teaches the technique.

http://www.graphic-design.com/Photoshop/paint_to_gray/