Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

- New to this Forum - with Power Shot S2 IS question

Hello, I'm new to this forum and this my first post.

I received my new S2 IS today and have been playing around with it for the past few hours.

I've taken a couple of pictures but I have not been able to down load them to my laptop using the provided USB cable. The driver seems to function properly with no obvious problems under the device manager. When I connect the camera to my laptop (USB 2.0) a dialog box pops open which says the camera is connected but the “Select program” window stays blank and does not give me any choices for selecting a program for downloading my pictures. The camera LCD displays my picture and does not blank out as described in the manual.

I have spoken to Canon’s technical support and they managed to point the finger to my USB ports saying they don’t provide enough power for the camera. I have a hard time believing this since I use other USB driven peripherals all the time and never had a problem.

However I checked both ports for functionality by switching my USB mouse to both and checking the current draw. Both ports drew the same amount of power, 100 mili-AMPs to run the mouse so I’m concluding that they’re okay. When I plug the camera in, it only draws 2 mili-AMPs, which is not right. You can view the current draw on your USB port by going to the device manager and by right clicking & getting the properties on the appropriate “USB Root Hub” & clicking the power tab.

I wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem?

The only thing that I can think of is that I’m running the camera with Alkaline batteries for now until my NiMH cells arrive and maybe the Alkaline’s cannot provide enough power to run the camera in that mode… but I seriously doubt this is the case.

Can anyone help?
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Emil; 08-16-2005 at 08:45 PM.

I would try with a desktop PC, to see if it works dont forget to install the driver before even pluggin in the camera.

If this is the case you can try using an SD card reader to download your images

not sure about the whole power thing, but the camera needs atleast 4.8-6v to run

Not sure, but I think the USB is suppose to feed around 7.4v as it says on the little tab
    Last edited by nitr0uzv; 08-17-2005 at 08:20 AM.
    Does anyone just find the S2's AF assist beam cool?

I mean it shoots a friggin cube at your head

I have had the S2 for a month now- no problems what so ever- just "plug n' play " - didn't even download the software\ driver.
    Connected the camera to the usb port - and downloaded the pictures.

Try using a card reader .

I don't think the batteries are a problem.

I thought about trying it on my desktop machine...

Quote Originally Posted by nitr0uzv
    I would try with a desktop PC, to see if it works dont forget to install the driver before even pluggin in the camera.

If this is the case you can try using an SD card reader to download your images

not sure about the whole power thing, but the camera needs atleast 4.8-6v to run

Not sure, but I think the USB is suppose to feed around 7.4v as it says on the little tab
    but it's not an apple to apple comparison in my case since I'm running Win2K on my desktop computer (will have to find win2K drivers), but it'll at least tell me if the camera download function works.
    Last edited by Emil; 08-17-2005 at 09:59 AM.

That's interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    I have had the S2 for a month now- no problems what so ever- just "plug n' play " - didn't even download the software\ driver.
    Connected the camera to the usb port - and downloaded the pictures.

Try using a card reader .

I don't think the batteries are a problem.
    Makes me wonder if there is a driver conflict between the Canon driver and my Dazzle card reader driver. I can offload pictures with my card reader just fine but I rather not use if I can help it.