Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool How to sharpen a blur photo???

Is there anyway to sharpen a blur photo due to motion or shaky hand.
    I had tried with photoshop but the sharpened image seem to be abit grainy...
    maybe i am not skillful enough... is there anyway to sharpen a slightly blur image???
    Sony Dsc h1 RoX!!!

If the blur is due to motion, then you probably will only get very limited improvement from any PhotoShop techniques. All you will end up with is a sharp image of motion.

-dave-

Unfortunately there really isn't a good method for removing motion blur/camera shake. The best thing to do is to use a tripod, or, if that's not convenient, set the camera on something flat. I would go into more detail but there is an endless amount of tips for working with a camera without a tripod in low-light conditions.

For [very] small amounts of blur, there are some third party sharpening tools out there that work pretty well. None are at in my thoughts right now but I'm sure other forum-goers know of some. The stock sharpen filter available in PS isn't exactly the best method of sharpening. However, I've had some decent results by using the the sharpen tool (found in the tools menu along with blur and something else). Just make sure you don't set the strength too high or you'll end up with really grainy or 'scratched' areas.

Photo enhancement software such as Photoshop works wonder but it doesn't create MIRACLE. If you input photo is badly blurred and out of focus, or so low in resolution then you can't do much about it no matter what software you use.

Quote Originally Posted by [C]irRuS
    Is there anyway to sharpen a blur photo due to motion or shaky hand.
    I had tried with photoshop but the sharpened image seem to be abit grainy...
    maybe i am not skillful enough... is there anyway to sharpen a slightly blur image???
    Try Focus Magic.
    "...and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
    Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

Quote Originally Posted by Norm in Fujino
    The samples on that website look like cr@p.
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by cdi-buy.com
    The samples on that website look like cr@p.
    Your Mileage May Vary.

Remember, these programs are really designed only to minimally salvage otherwise lost images. They won't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.
    Last edited by Norm in Fujino; 08-17-2005 at 12:07 AM.

Your Mileage May Vary.

Remember, these programs are really designed only to minimally salvage otherwise lost images. They won't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.
    You might as well just delete the blurry ones and forget 'em. If blurryness might be an issue, shoot in continuous mode and you can dang near guarantee at least one will be sharp. If not, you need to practice shooting instead of relying on a miracle software program.
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by cdi-buy.com
    you need to practice shooting instead of relying on a miracle software program.
    Let me repeat: the point is not that anyone is necessarily "relying on" these programs, but merely attempting to salvage disaster in the unfortunate extremes that we all run into occasionally. I personally haven't had any results with the test version of focus magic that I would want to display publically, but I can imagine certain cases where you might want to recover a family or other photo with historic significance that was otherwise totally unviewable. They have a legitimate role in the overall scheme of things.

Let me repeat: the point is not that anyone is necessarily "relying on" these programs, but merely attempting to salvage disaster in the unfortunate extremes that we all run into occasionally. I personally haven't had any results with the test version of focus magic that I would want to display publically, but I can imagine certain cases where you might want to recover a family or other photo with historic significance that was otherwise totally unviewable. They have a legitimate role in the overall scheme of things.
    If it's really totally unviewable, no amount of editing will salvage it. Sometimes you just have to let go. I would rather spend my time practising my technique than salvaging photos taken by those who didn't spend their time the same way. I don't want to be the photographer who took the pic that someone is trying to salvage with software in 80 years.
    Last edited by cdifoto; 08-17-2005 at 05:42 AM.
    Ouch.