Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Can you rename multiple digital pics at once?

When I unload my camera using my HP software on my XP system either the software or camera one names each pic in succession i.e., pic001, pic002, etc. These pics download into the designated folder but if I take more pics the next time or wait and unload more the next day and try and put them into that same folder it gives me the message "pic001 already exist do you want to replace it?" I don't of course as they are different pics. Is there a way other than creating multiple folders (which I have done) or other than renaming each picture individually? Any suggestions as to how I might better name or manage these pics that I want to keep in the same folder?

Thanks.

Look and see if your camera doesn't have a setting somewhere in the menu ( mine is called File # memory [on/off] ). That will let the camera remember how far it got it the filename "number" before you emptied the camera.

Otherwise you can use software to batch rename the files after download. I use IrfanView (it's free) and it is very flexible (it can rescale your pics in batches too). Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0 will rename batches of pictures too, but it isn't free.

I hope that helps.
    Colt
    KM 7D & A200

Quote Originally Posted by Coltess
    Otherwise you can use software to batch rename the files after download. I use IrfanView

I use PIE (Picture Information Extractor) for batch renaming; it also isn't free for the registered version ($19.95), but it does feature lossless rotation of JPEG images, which is one of the main reasons I bought it several years ago (back when using a 1.4MP camera, lossless rotation was a bigger deal than it is today).
    "...and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
    Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

Another one that'll do it easily is ACDsee - which is my no1 veiwer
    I believe you can get a trial download off the net...
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

The Rename is a good program for renameing files. Very fast. http://www.herve-thouzard.com/module...p?cid=2&lid=59

"AF5 Rename your Files" is a great freeware program that I use for batch renaming.
    www.jamisonwexler.com

Canon 5dII|Canon 5D|Canon 40D|Sigma 15 f2.8|Canon 35 f1.4|Canon 50 f2.5|Canon 50 f1.8|Canon 85 f1.2|Canon 17-40 f4|Canon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS|Canon 24-105 f4 IS|Canon 28-105 f3.5-4.5|Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS|Canon 75-300 f4-5.6 IS|Kenko 1.4x TC|Canon 580ex X3|Canon 380exII |Canon 420ex|Sunpak 383 x4|Sunpak 120j x2|Sunpak 622|Elinchrom Skyports

Past Gear