Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

How to ensure steady shot with a tripod

I have a S2 and a tripod. When fastening the tripod to take a shot, my camera would shake and the subject disappears from the LCD screen. Without fastening, the picture would be the same as a picture taken by when hand held.

I am not sure if i should fasten the tripod first before locating the subject even though the camera would then be inflexible.

Now, I am in a dilemma when using the tripod because it has failed its purpose

That's a common dilemma I think. I've used my tripod mostly for pre-planned shots, but you can also scrunch the legs together and use it like a monopod when you have to move around with it. I don't know for sure what you mean by the subject disappearing though. Do you mean it flies or runs away and you miss the shot, or you try to keep the camara focussed on the subject while attaching your camera to the tripod. If the latter, I'd suggest keeping an eye on the subject while attaching the tripod, and reframing once you're ready. Also, S2s have stabilisation. Have you not had luck taking handheld shots at full zoom? I'd like to know because I might buy one.

Do you mean it flies or runs away and you miss the shot, or you try to keep the camara focussed on the subject while attaching your camera to the tripod.

I mean that when fastening the tripod, shaking would occur so the camera would go off target and I have to relocate the subject again.

Also, S2s have stabilisation. Have you not had luck taking handheld shots at full zoom? I'd like to know because I might buy one.

The inbuilt stabilisation helps to a certain extend probably 1/30 for aperture f8 but the lowest it helps is 1/10 for f2.7. If lower i suggest using the tripod.

For me, I am using the natural lights and shutter speed to prevent handshake.

The natural lighting allows me to take pictures at fast shutter speed and small aperture.

The shutter speed could be adjusted to prevent handshake as the faster the shutter speed, the faster the shot is taken, making handshakes less revealing.

The only times I use tripod are when shooting coorperating subjects (portrait; etc), stationary subjects (scenery... ) and when slow shutter speed is desirable.
    Fast shutter speed is not always possible when lighting is not ideal and Image Stabilisation works in most cases but doesn't make magic.. but that's different stories.
    Logically I attach the tripod first before composing.

Quote Originally Posted by Within
    I am not sure if i should fasten the tripod first before locating the subject even though the camera would then be inflexible.
    INFLEXIBLE? What sort of tripod do you have? I believe that you can rotate/adjust the angles any which ways you need?

Quote Originally Posted by tim11
    INFLEXIBLE? What sort of tripod do you have? I believe that you can rotate/adjust the angles any which ways you need?
    I wonder if Within is using a tripod without a head. If do, he or she should invest in a ball or pan/tilt head.
    Ouch.

my tripod is very flexible, similar to a normal tripod. However, I have a tendency to set up my tripod with my camera, release all the locks to make the camera rotatable (if there is such a word), then compose my image. However, coming to the locking part, during locking, the camera would be shaken and requires me to compose again.

After many attempts, I got disheartened and did not lock my camera position, leading to shaky images (I am not sure if there is such a term a describe an image that has been ruined by handshakes). This could be because of unstable ground or unsteady hands. This problem pose to me a huge problem- shaky images.

I am not sure if the above steps which I take is correct but if it is wrong, then I need some advice on the correct procedure. Sorry about the confusing message.

Quote Originally Posted by Within
    my tripod is very flexible, similar to a normal tripod. However, I have a tendency to set up my tripod with my camera, release all the locks to make the camera rotatable (if there is such a word), then compose my image. However, coming to the locking part, during locking, the camera would be shaken and requires me to compose again.

After many attempts, I got disheartened and did not lock my camera position, leading to shaky images (I am not sure if there is such a term a describe an image that has been ruined by handshakes). This could be because of unstable ground or unsteady hands. This problem pose to me a huge problem- shaky images.

I am not sure if the above steps which I take is correct but if it is wrong, then I need some advice on the correct procedure. Sorry about the confusing message.
    What you want to do while tightening is snug it allowing some movement so you can double check your composition and move the rig as necessary, then tighten the rest of the way while looking through the viewfinder at your subject, ensuring proper position the entire time.
    Ouch.