Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Smile Lighting for pics of infants????

Can anyone help me? I am wanting to get into taking pics of infants and children, most of my friends say I have the eye! I have the canon 20d with 420 ex flash, 17-85 lens and the 50 1.8. What I want to buy now is some lighting for this set up. Are strobes or continious lights better? Soft boxes/umbrellas? It seems the choice is too vast, any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am a newbie at all this so the simpler the better. Thanks so much

I usually keep it really simple. I use available light with the 50mm 1.8, shoot in RAW, then use RSE (Raw Shooter Essentials) to add fill light after-the-fact. I don't use flash mainly because I don't own one, and partially because it'd be a bit harsh on a baby's eyes unless bounced. Bouncing isn't always feasible anyway, especially when the ceilings are high. Here are a couple shots:

Outdoors with some selective color post processing & a tiny bit of glamour blur:

Indoors with only a bit of saturation & levels adjustment:

It's not exactly portrature but if it was, I would use an umbrella on one side as soft fill and a softbox as the main light on the other in a studio setting with muslins as backdrops.
    Ouch.

CDI - Nice shots! I like the desat background of the top, it really sets your child off. Quite an expression on the middle shot. I've tried RSE a little, but I seem to like the results of DPP a little better. Maybe I just haven't tweaked enough in RSE to get the results Thanks for sharing those shots.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by D Thompson
    CDI - Nice shots! I like the desat background of the top, it really sets your child off. Quite an expression on the middle shot. I've tried RSE a little, but I seem to like the results of DPP a little better. Maybe I just haven't tweaked enough in RSE to get the results Thanks for sharing those shots.

Dennis
    Hey thanks! Unfortunately he's not my child though...he's my nephew. He's so easygoing and loves my camera so it helps a lot. I make faces at him from behind the camera and he reacts really well to it.
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by photogirl
    Can anyone help me? I am wanting to get into taking pics of infants and children, most of my friends say I have the eye! I have the canon 20d with 420 ex flash, 17-85 lens and the 50 1.8. What I want to buy now is some lighting for this set up. . . . I am a newbie at all this so the simpler the better. Thanks so much
    You might start with the Lightsphere II . I've heard some very positive things about it, and have just ordered one myself. Sounds perfect for quickly changing scenarios (read: kids).
    "...and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
    Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

Quote Originally Posted by Norm in Fujino
    You might start with the Lightsphere II . I've heard some very positive things about it, and have just ordered one myself. Sounds perfect for quickly changing scenarios (read: kids).
    I talked to a wedding photographer who doesn't shoot without it. I keep meaning to order one, so thanks for the reminder.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm
    I talked to a wedding photographer who doesn't shoot without it. I keep meaning to order one, so thanks for the reminder.
    Another item I need. Heck I don't even own a flash yet but I already need a diffuser for it. lmao.
    Ouch.

Lighting for infants!!!

Thanks everyone, must get my hands on a lightsphere 11. If I was to set up studio in my spare room, what would you reckon would be a good bet? Photoflex starlite/softboxes etc, strobes and softboxes! Why is there so much to choose from? Aaarrghhhh!

Thanks everyone, I love this site!

wow 39bux. nice price. but id have to get a flash first. dangit
    canon 5D / canon 350D / 24-105L F4 IS / 35L F1.4 / 85L F1.2 / 135L F2