Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: canon sd400

raducu Guest

Exclamation canon sd400

hey everyone

i like the new canon Sd400, but i never used it
    can anybody tell me why should i buy it or why not

, i'm looking for a slim stylish camera to carry with me and to get nice pictures
    also i pretty much take pictures indoors, i wonder how the flash works
    maybe also you can compare it with Sd500 or sd50

if anyone can give me an advice? please
    thanks
    Radu
    Last edited by raducu; 07-29-2005 at 11:28 PM.

Indoor/Flash Photos

raducu-

If the majority of your digital photos are done indoors, is an extended flash range beyond, the approximately 10 foot range of the SD-400, of interest to you?

If it is, then perhaps you should consider the digital cameras that are capable of using ISO settings greater than ISO 400, the max ISO setting on the SD-400.

Sarah Joyce

I'd recommend the cheaper SD 300 cuz I own it and its all you really need. I'd say SD200 would be good enough as well but its up to you

SD400 looks sweet but the SD300 is good enough trust me exactly the same almost barely any difference only huge difference is in price
    武壇 八極拳 & 螳螂拳

SD400 vs. SD300

There is one feature on the SD400 that I like quite a bit: USB 2.0 file transfer.

I shoot a lot; movies and pictures. Ifyou are going to pull data over the wire, USB 2.0 makes a big difference. I have an external USB SD reader that is very fast, but I like to use the cable due to reasons about the way my linux laptop sees usb devices and how it handles the importing into my preferred image cataloging application, gthumb.

I own an SD300, and took it to a store to test transfer rates vs. an SD400 into my laptop via its usb port/camera cable. I don't claim this test to be scientific, just anectodal. My data card is a 1GB Kingmax Platinum. For the test, the card contained 255MB of mixed data, photos and movies.

The SD300 transferred the data into the laptop in 5 minutes 45 seconds.

The SD400 transferred the data into the laptop in 1 minute 10 seconds.

I am overall very happy with the SD300 but am going to sell it to a friend and get the SD400. The extra megapixel probably won't do much for me except eat more hard drive space, but the transfer rate is worth it to me personally, due to the size of the files I need to pull down.
    Last edited by michaelchan; 08-12-2005 at 05:01 PM.

And with all that said? Is it really worth the price for a point and shoot camera for a little extra speed to transfer and one megapixel more that you probably wont even use anyways?

Sure I do up videos and movies as well but the price for transfering pictures at a slightly faster rate to your computer.. c'mon seriously..

I'd wait a few more minutes longer.. its not going anywhere I'm not in a hurry either.. rather save a few bucks then spend it on some minor features
    武壇 八極拳 & 螳螂拳

> and with all that said? Is it really worth the price for a point and shoot camera for a little extra speed to transfer and one megapixel more that you probably wont even use anyways?

> Sure I do up videos and movies as well but the price for transfering pictures at a slightly faster rate to your computer.. c'mon seriously..

I purchased the SD400 new for $289 from Dell including shipping. I sold the SD300 for $250. You say it is a "little extra" speed. I consider a 5-times faster transfer substantially more than little, and worth the $39. In my typical shooting I fill my 1GB card quickly. To offload one GB on the SD300 took approximately 23 minutes. on the SD400, it takes about 4 and a half minutes. For the amount of shooting I do, yes, it is worth it _to me_.

I respect that you don't find that metric to be worth the money to you. I was trying to provide information that may be of assistance to people in the decision making process, not debate how I value my time, nor coerce people to thinking the way I do.