Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Cool S2 IS with 1gb memory TRANSCEND ??? (adj)

Hi,
    I know this topic has been discussed already, but still do not feel 100% certain what to expect when I buy a normal 1gb memory card, or if I would buy the Ultra II. Is it really gonna make a difference? I do not expect to use the video mode a lot. Mainly pictures only.
    Taken the above into consideration, how many pics should I expect to be able to store on my 1gb card. They will not all be in the highest resolution, so sort of avg? Trying to find out how to survive during my holiday
    Looking forward to hear.
    Thx for your input!
    Igsz
    Last edited by igsz; 07-31-2005 at 12:44 PM. Reason: title change

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by igsz
    Hi,
    I know this topic has been discussed already, but still do not feel 100% certain what to expect when I buy a normal 1gb memory card, or if I would buy the Ultra II. Is it really gonna make a difference? I do not expect to use the video mode a lot. Mainly pictures only.
    Taken the above into consideration, how many pics should I expect to be able to store on my 1gb card. They will not all be in the highest resolution, so sort of avg? Trying to find out how to survive during my holiday
    Looking forward to hear.
    Thx for your input!
    Igsz
    Well, maybe you didn't look at Jeff's S2 review. In it, he posted a table to answer your question, attached here. Choose the resolution you're interested in using, and multiply the table entries X64 to show what a 1GB card can do vs. the included 16MB card. Remember that table numbers are approximate, since file size can vary significantly from shot to shot.

Travel pointers for conserving card space:

1) I've done a lot of this kind of thing. I shoot lots of shots, so at the end of each day's shooting, I sit down with the camera and edit out the shots that I can plainly see aren't worth saving.

2) Decide what print size you'll be making after you're through. If it's no bigger than 4X6, you might want to think about generally shooting at "Medium 1" or "Medium 2" resolution, both perfectly adequate for 4X6 prints, or even 8X10s. The downside is, if you get that magical shot that's "to die for," you'll be disappointed, and will always regret not having taken it at the highest resolution your camera has to offer.

3) In a real pinch, you can lower the JPEG quality, from "Superfine" to "Fine," probably shouldn't go below that level.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by John_Reed; 07-30-2005 at 05:40 PM.
    Let a be your umbrella!

Hi,
    Thanks for this! I sort of did not see how to use this for checking out how much I could store on a 1gb card, but with your explanation, I think I got it.
    A bit of a problem with the difference in inches (?) and centimeters, but I have some idea now. Thanks for that.
    Have you by any chance heard from Transcend memory cards?
    I have never heard of them before and want to make sure before I buy I do not end up with something that will not work well in my new S2 IS.
    Thinking of the 1gb 80x.
    Looking forward to hear.
    Thanks,
    Igsz

I am using a Transcend 512MB 45X SD card and a 1 GB Twinmos Ultra-X for my S2 IS and I really recommend them. They're both pretty fast, no lags, pauses in movies or burst shots. I also have a Transcend CF in my Canon A95.

Transcend is a reliable brand on memorycards-readers...etc. I remember reading a review on a computer magazine while ago, they ranked Transcend to second position just behind Sandisk's Ultra series cards.
    If the prices are also suitable, don't hesitate.