Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Epson Perfection 3170 Photo scanner

I finally ended up purchasing an Epson 3170 scanner from Amazon. It arrived yesterday.

I really LIKE this scanner!

It includes Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0, which I already had. It also includes several other software which I will probably not use. I downloaded the V2.32a drivers and Twain apps from the Epson web site for use with my Quicksilver G4 Mac (versions for OS X 10.2.8 and OS 9.2.2).

I use the twain app in Professional mode via GraphicConverter v5.2. The Professional mode allows complete manual control over scanner settings. I then manipulate the image via GC or PSE.

Specs:
    + 3200x6400 optical resolution.
    + Lite lid with 35 mm slide holder, 35 mm film holder and 120x220mm holder.
    + Includes Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 for PC and Mac.
    + 8.5"x11.7" scanning area.
    + USB 1.1 for OS 9 and USB 2.0 for OS X.
    + Includes USB cable.
    + Includes other software, which I probably will not use.

The scanner produces excellent color and resolution.

It is very fast in OS X with USB 2.0, but slow in transfer in OS 9 with USB 1.1. Is there any software or hack available for OS 9 that will use USB 2.0?

Amazon still has this scanner listed at $172.99, with free shipping! Epson is also offereing a $25 rebate on purchases by Sept 30.

Such a deal!

- Jack

Excellent scanner! I agree, have it and have scanned more then a thousand photographs/images with it couldn't be any happier with the quality and excellent resolution. Scanned many film negatives, bw/colour/colour positve, some very, very old, and have been very happy with the results the scanner gives. I highly recommend it.

Recently bought another Epson, newer modem which barely has reviews out on it yet, theEpson 4180 for 250, with a $50 Epson rebate on it, great deal.

bigbdickson Guest

Epson 3170 Negative Settings

I'm loving my Epson 3170, but I'm still trying to figure out the best settings (in the scanner software) for archival of old negatives and 4x6 photos. I'd like to be able to re-print larger than 4x6 photos if needed in the future.

Just wondering, has anyone found settings that worked well for negatives or photos? Please post em if you can.

Thanks!

I got an Epson 3170 a few months ago and have a real hard time using it. I use it with a really nice G4 dual processor running OS X, but it shuts off all the time, right before I get a file saved. I have to struggle to sneak a scan out of preview or keep trying forever. It won't do books or anything thick at all, which cuts it out for auction listings.

I'm sure it's an operator problem, I've probably done something dumb setting it up, but would sure like some help making it work for me.

Moonfrog,

See my original message above. As I said, all I installed was the Twain app and driver from the Epson web site, and have had no problems at all.

- Jack

Replacing bulb on Epson Perfection 3170 scanner

After very light usage for a couple of years the bulb has burned out on my scanner. This is very disappointing.

What is even more disappointing is that Epson are unable to give me instructions on how to change the bulb.

Does anyone know? It's not in the instructions that came with the scanner either...

I don't really want to pay a service center $80 or $100 to change a bulb!

Changing the bulb

I just spoke with a Tech and it turns out it's not as simple as changing a bulb.

As I understand it if it's a board which provides power to the bulb the repair would be about $70. If the bulb cartridge needs ot be changed it'll be abotu $200. More than the scanner cost.

Very disappointing after 1.5 years of very light usage...

So much for "office quyality"...