Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy Help me choose a digicam... can't decide :(

I'm having trouble deciding..

I was looking at the Canon Powershot Pro1..

Budget - I'd prefer to spend less than $700 for cam + 1gb mem card, roughly.. maybe a bit more, but not a lot more..

Zoom - the cam will be used for a variety of things, the zoo, aquarium, parks, etc.. 7x+ optical zoom would be ideal..

Manual features aren't too important...they would be nice, as I'd like to learn a lot deeper soon, but I dont think im ready for a DSLR... plus the price of the DSLR's + a nice zoom lense is kind of putting me off...

HELP! Suggestions?

x3ro-

This my personal opinion only, but in my use of the Canon Pro-1, I found it very,very slow to focus, and the picture quality is best at only the lowest ISO setting. I know we have fellow posters here who think quite highly of the Canon Pro-1, so perhaps they will chine in on this thread.

Are we to assume that you are looking for a fixed lens consumer digital camera, or will you consider a dSLR? I ask that question because the Pentax 1stDS dSLR with kit lens is currently selling for around $(US) 650.00, adding a 1gb SD chip and you would be such a tiny bit over your budget. With the camera in hand now you would have total flexibility and would be able to add any lens you might desire.

If on the other hand you wanted to saty with a fixed lens digital camera, then take a look at the high performing Fuji F-10. There is an excellent review of the Fuji F-10 right on this website by our own Jeff Keller. It is certainly worth taking a good look at the field. If you want more zoom take a look at the K-M A200.

The 7mp group of cameras are also high performers worth taking a look at as well: That would be the Canon G-6, the Canon SD-500, The Casio 750Z, the Sony P-200, the Olympus C-7000, K-M A200 (which has the zoom that you desire) and the Pentax 750Z.

Perhaps if you could give us a bit more info, we can be more specific.

Attached you will find a Pentax 1stDS photo sample.

Sarah Joyce
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by speaklightly
    x3ro-

This my personal opinion only, but in my use of the Canon Pro-1, I found it very,very slow to focus, and the picture quality is best at only the lowest ISO setting. I know we have fellow posters here who think quite highly of the Canon Pro-1, so perhaps they will chine in on this thread.....
    Thanks Sarah..

I'm not necessarily stuck on a fixed-lense camera, but from most of the dSLR's ive seen, they're very out of my price range.... I would also like a decently high MP...

I really want a lot more camera than my current Powershot A80.... it's a nice camera, but I would like something nicer, really. I'm not big in the camera arena, so I dont know what models are nice and what aren't, you know? i'd like to delve further into photography, and I want a camera that will allow me to adjust lots of manual settings when I decide I'm ready, and in the mean time have an auto-mode so I can just enjoy and play....

I would really like to stay away from the smaller A80 sized cameras and go for something more SLR like, but not necessarily dSLR..

Hopefully that helps

K-m A-200

If you don't desire to necessarily move to a dSLR give some consideration to the Konica Minolta A-200. It has a long zoom, many desireable features, such as 8mp and IS. Many folks like it a lot.

Currently the lowest cost dSLR kit is the Pentax 1stDS at $(US) 635.

Here is a Pentax 1stDS sample photo taken at ISO 3200 without flash.

Sarah Joyce
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Joyce
    If you don't desire to necessarily move to a dSLR give some consideration to the Konica Minolta A-200. It has a long zoom, many desireable features, such as 8mp and IS. Many folks like it a lot.

Currently the lowest cost dSLR kit is the Pentax 1stDS at $(US) 635.

Here is a Pentax 1stDS sample photo taken at ISO 3200 without flash.

Sarah Joyce
    Thanks Sarah, I read a review on the KM A200, and decided I didn't think it was exactly i wanted.....it mentioned "soft" pictures and what not..

Anyone else here want to chime in?

The Ideal Digital Camera

Now let's be honest with each other. If you desire a long zoom you have your choice of fixed lens digital camera such as the Fz-30 and Fz-30.
    But if you are intersted in night or low light level photography, the UZI camera are not the proper choice.

You might ask then, what is the so called ideal choice then? In truth, it has to be a camera, whether film or digital, that could utilize at very high ISO settings. Very few digital or film cameras could use ISO speeds faster than ISO 400. it took years for camera decelopment to catch up.

Today we have point and shoot digital cameras that can take great photos at ISO 1600, and we have dSLR cameras that can take great digital cameras at ISO 3200. These increased ISO speeds give the average photographer unheralded flexiblilty.

In the point and shoot category, the truly advanced digital cameras are the Fuji F-10 and the Olympus Stylus 800. In the dSLR category, it is the Pentax 1stDS, and the Canon 20D that lead the way because they are able to use ISO settings as high as 3200 ISO.

In between there are a good number of other advanced digital cameras such as the K-M A-2, the Olympus C-8080 and the like. It comes down to a point where you have to make a choice. It is up to you.

Sarah Joyce

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Joyce
    Now let's be honest with each other. If you desire a long zoom you have your choice of fixed lens digital camera such as the Fz-30 and Fz-30.
    But if you are intersted in night or low light level photography, the UZI camera are not the proper choice.

You might ask then, what is the so called ideal choice then? In truth, it has to be a camera, whether film or digital, that could utilize at very high ISO settings. Very few digital or film cameras could use ISO speeds faster than ISO 400. it took years for camera decelopment to catch up.

Today we have point and shoot digital cameras that can take great photos at ISO 1600, and we have dSLR cameras that can take great digital cameras at ISO 3200. These increased ISO speeds give the average photographer unheralded flexiblilty.

In the point and shoot category, the truly advanced digital cameras are the Fuji F-10 and the Olympus Stylus 800. In the dSLR category, it is the Pentax 1stDS, and the Canon 20D that lead the way because they are able to use ISO settings as high as 3200 ISO.

In between there are a good number of other advanced digital cameras such as the K-M A-2, the Olympus C-8080 and the like. It comes down to a point where you have to make a choice. It is up to you.

Sarah Joyce
    A long zoom isn't 100% set in stone...i would LIKE 7x or so, but its not 100% necessary... i just read a review on teh FZ30, and it looked like a nice camera....but it's not out yet???

I wouldn't mind taking night shots here and there, maybe fireworks or something, but it wont be something i do often... would something like the FZ30 do decently good with night shots?

Fz-30

Without an actual review, we have no way of knowing.

However, you do realize the deficiencies of ISO 400, don't you?

Sarah Joyce

Having owned the Pro1 and a few dSLR's I can say this. The pro1 isn't for fast moving or moving photography or low light.

At all.

It was "ok' for its time but it's time has passed I belive. The ISO 50 ourdoor images are amazing but so is my 17-40L on my XT.

Your far better off buying a cheap dSLR like the *ist DS or Nikon D50 kit.

Tim

i would say, get the panasonic FZ20... there's no need to get the 30, as the features on it you probably wouldn't use.

the canon proshot 1 is a great camera. but you have to ask yourself, is this something i need?

it seems as thought you haven't fully worked out what you desire from the camera, what photos do you want to take? family, sport, videos?

think all these things through when deciding. the more info you give us, the more help we can give you.

i wouldn't get a DSLR if i were you. there's no point... .the point and shoot cameras these days are so good that you would simply be wasting money on a reflex.
    Last edited by bracko; 07-26-2005 at 02:58 AM.