Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Vertical stabilization?

Those are really nice tips, but I am not sure how did you find out, that "Image stabilization does not work if the camera is being held vertically".

I do have Canon S2 and according to my tests it seems to me that statbilization works even in this case. The tests were simple - I have tried to take a picture with full zoom and 1/30 exposure. With the IS turned on, but there were blurred with the IS off. The difference was clearly visible in both cases - verical and horizontal position.

Is there someone with Canon S2, who can confirm or disprove this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackx
    Those are really nice tips, but I am not sure how did you find out, that "Image stabilization does not work if the camera is being held vertically".

I do have Canon S2 and according to my tests it seems to me that statbilization works even in this case. The tests were simple - I have tried to take a picture with full zoom and 1/30 exposure. With the IS turned on, but there were blurred with the IS off. The difference was clearly visible in both cases - verical and horizontal position.

Is there someone with Canon S2, who can confirm or disprove this issue?
    It says so on page 36 of the manual...although it may only be true in "Panning" mode...the manual is unclear on this point, although the exact quote is "...stabilization does not work when the camera is held vertically". It wouldn't be the first time that there's something in the manual that's wrong. We all know about the Super Macro Mode error in the manual...

I'll test as well in a few days. Thanks for helping out with this....PM me and let's devise a controlled test. I'd be happy if it were an error!
    Last edited by JTL; 08-16-2005 at 07:11 AM.

Well the sad but true news is in. My assertion that IS does not work when the camera is held vertically is TRUE as confirmed by Canon Customer Support. See below:

INQUIRY: On page 36 of the S2 manual it states: "Image stabilization does not work when the camera is held vertically." Is this true only for Panning Mode or is it true for all IS modes? Thank you.

Thank you for writing to us. We value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

This is true for all IS modes.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Please feel free to contact us again if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Anthony, Technical Support Representative
    Last edited by JTL; 08-18-2005 at 09:35 PM. Reason: I am an idiot at the keyboard!

Umm JTL,

I am confused.

You wrote:

My assertion that IS does work when the camera is held vertically is TRUE as confirmed by Canon Customer Support. See below:

and he wrote back:

INQUIRY: On page 36 of the S2 manual it states: "Image stabilization does not work when the camera is held vertically." Is this true only for Panning Mode or is it true for all IS modes? Thank you.

[..snip...]

This seems to me that he is agreeing with the manual and saying that IS does NOT work when the camera is held vertically.

Please help me to understand.
    ----
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TRAmbler
    Umm JTL,

I am confused.

You wrote:

My assertion that IS does work when the camera is held vertically is TRUE as confirmed by Canon Customer Support. See below:

and he wrote back:

[..snip...]

This seems to me that he is agreeing with the manual and saying that IS does NOT work when the camera is held vertically.

Isn't it obvious? I'm an idiot who can't type! Next time I make a stupid typo, just PM me and let me fix it, unless you enjoy making me look like more of an idiot than I already am! And now, there's just one more unnecessary post in this thread causing clutter (actually, two counting my reply)...

But, thanks for pointing it out...but, PM next time! A little etiquette please! Thanks!

And, now that I've fixed it, your post that follows will just confuse people more...what am I gonna do with ya?!
    Last edited by JTL; 08-18-2005 at 07:43 PM.

Garrison Hill Guest

S-2 Lens cap solution

I think I've found an acceptable & simple solution to keeping the S2 lens cap on.

I turned the retaining string on the cap around to move the metal clip over by the camera strap, and then I close a section of the string under the cap when replacing it to create a snug fit.

I'm hoping that soft string won't hurth the lense if it touches. Looks like there is ample room under the cap.

Feedback welcome!

confused?

Quote Originally Posted by TRAmbler
    Umm JTL,

I am confused.

You wrote:

and he wrote back:

[..snip...]

See the original:

"Well the sad but true news is in. My assertion that IS does not work when the camera is held vertically is TRUE as confirmed by Canon Customer Support."

unfortunately, the original is the one he quoted .. the post was later edited to the correct statement by JTL, and all confusions have been resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Balrog
    unfortunately, the original is the one he quoted .. the post was later edited to the correct statement by JTL, and all confusions have been resolved.
    The interesting thing is Canon Tech Support and the manual are most likely wrong, but it's hard to prove! And I won't have free time to try for a couple of weeks, although the tests that BlackX conducted are pretty compelling and seem to indicate that IS does work regardless of camera orientation. His PM to me is as follows:

Quote Originally Posted by Blackx
    Hello again,
    it still seems to me that IS works in vertical position (although not probably in panning mode).
    I took several shots with and without IS and all of them look like this:
    blackx.webzdarma.cz/IS_test.jpg
    (This is full zoom and 1/80 sec. exposure)
    Maybe even Canon tech support is wrong? Possibly they looked into the manual and were equally puzzled as we were.
    To be continued.......

cool! if so, that'd be awesome .. specially since I never figured out why IS shouldn't work in vertical orientation anyway?