Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Waiting For Shuttle Launch Photos !!!

I am waiting for some outstanding photos from lift-off.
    Which Camera will be used ?
    Last edited by voyager2; 07-12-2005 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by voyager2
    I am waiting for some outstanding photos from lift-off.
    Which Camera will be used ?
    If you're asking about my photos, I'm using my own EOS-20D with some borrowed lenses: a F5.6 400mm and an F3.5-5.6 28-300mm. Believe me, I'm not close enough for anything truly spectacular, but they should still be nice.
    Jeff Keller
    Founder/Editor, Digital Camera Resource Page

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Keller
    If you're asking about my photos, I'm using my own EOS-20D with some borrowed lenses: a F5.6 400mm and an F3.5-5.6 28-300mm. Believe me, I'm not close enough for anything truly spectacular, but they should still be nice.
    Jeff, is that a F3.5-6.3 28-300mm lens. I've been holding off buying one since it is as slow as F6.3 at the long end. If it is F3.5-5.6, what brand is it?
    Ray.

It's the $2000 L lens. It's decent in image quality, but incredibly heavy and hefty. It's perfect for renting, but I'd never buy one (it's not worth that much). Sigma and Tamron offer ultracompact versions of the 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 (note the difference), but they are both very poor in quality.
    Last edited by Rex914; 07-12-2005 at 05:27 PM.

I am also looking forward to your pictures, Jeff!

Here's hoping you get some great ones. I hope that before the Shuttle is retired I can get down to Florida on a vacation to see a launch. I remember the first shuttle launch in 1981, and for me the Shuttle has been the only vehicle of manned space exploration. Awe inspiring stuff!

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warin
    I am also looking forward to your pictures, Jeff!

Here's hoping you get some great ones. I hope that before the Shuttle is retired I can get down to Florida on a vacation to see a launch. I remember the first shuttle launch in 1981, and for me the Shuttle has been the only vehicle of manned space exploration. Awe inspiring stuff!
    Buran was more modern than the shuttle. I'd love - one day - to see Buran.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex914
    It's the $2000 L lens. It's decent in image quality, but incredibly heavy and hefty. It's perfect for renting, but I'd never buy one (it's not worth that much). Sigma and Tamron offer ultracompact versions of the 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 (note the difference), but they are both very poor in quality.
    My mistake, not only was I not looking in the right price range, but I wasn't looking at Canon lenses as I don't have a Canon dSLR. Thanks.
    Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys
    Buran was more modern than the shuttle. I'd love - one day - to see Buran.
    Buran never made it past the test model stage and into manned flight though. And given the state of the Russian economy, I doubt it will ever be more than "what could have been". Considering that it never had certified life support systems or flight controls for manned use, I am not certain it is fair to say it is more modern or capable than the shuttle.

The X-35 with the linear aerospike engine was phenomenal, but poor management and some setbacks in material engineering for the fuel tank sort of killed that project. too bad really, because it was a really wicked idea.

The full sized Buran test bed sits in Gorky Park.
    Last edited by Warin; 07-12-2005 at 06:17 PM.

I was lucky enough to see an evening shuttle launch several years ago. Still remember it as yesterday it was awesome even from about 5 miles away on a small hill in a forest somewhere. I took some non digital P&S pictures but they aren't worth posting here. I'm looking forward to your pictures Jeff. My main memories were the harsh crackling noise it made & the speed that it went up. One tip don't watch it all through the camera though, yes get some good shots, but take a few seconds to watch it for yourself as the moment is all to soon soon over.

I have to agree with Phil D on just plain watching the launch and not getting too attached to the camera.

About 7 years ago I was able to watch a Titan V (I think) take off in California on a private mission (unmanned, television satellites I think). I was about 5 miles from the launch but there was an overcast/foggy night (10 pm).

Just watching that take off was amazing. The sound and the thrust it needed to get off the ground. It started in slow motion it seemed but then just accelerated like I've never seen anything accelerate. It was more amazing watching the blast blow the fog away. I didn't have a camera (wish I did), but it was awesome... I can only imagine the shuttle being so much better.

I can't wait to see the pictures here.

Erik