Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: photo dpi

photo dpi

on my fz20 and on my past digital cameras a fuji and olympus, ,
    when ever i look at the photo information in for example exif programme. all the photos show 72 dpi.
    however my girlfriends photos off her nikon compact 4300, they all show 300 x 300 dpi.
    any ideas why this is.

dpi is essentially just a tag telling the printer how large the photo should be printed out. It's not an intrinsic property of the photo itself. i.e. when it's set to 72 dpi you're saying "I want to print 72 pixels on one inch of paper", while 300 dpi would mean "I want 300 pixels on each inch". The amount of pixels you have is the only real characteristic you have to worry about. You could change your 72 to 300 in photoshop and it wouldn't make one bit of a difference to anything, until you printed it out.

so what you are saying is change it in photo shop b4 printing.
    but will the print ie: a 7x5 be any better at 300dpi than say a 7x5 at 72dpi.
    what i cant understand is why does my girlfriends pics show 300 dpi out the camera.
    its a bit confusing this pixels and dpi buisness.
    my printed pics seem very good so i guess i shouldnt worry to much.
    but its good to know how it all works.
    what i would realy like is for my printed pics to be the same colour as the pic viewed on the screen.
    although my pics are good the colours can vary a lot between viewed and printed

The color difference is due to your monitor not being profiled and calibrated so the colors you see are "True" colors. (Ie: your red may be off orange your off purple may appear red)

As far as the DPI thing, You have the same ammount of pixels. "dots" to work with. If you print it at 72 DPI it's going to have 1/5th the ammount of "dots" per inch then 300 DPI. The "setting" on your computer just tells the computer how many dots to display it at. If your image is 3200x2400 its 10.66X8 inches "at 300 dpi" or its 44.4X33.3 inches "at 72 dpi" the image file didn't change all that changed as how many dots per inch your displaying.

Obviously a 300 DPI image looks better then a 72 printed out. Neither of which is determined by what the file "says" it is but by how many pixels/inch the printer will be set to use.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timmciglobal
    The color difference is due to your monitor not being profiled and calibrated so the colors you see are "True" colors. (Ie: your red may be off orange your off purple may appear red)
    In addition to what Tim said about monitor calibration, you might want to check out different printers, and different kinds of photo paper. It often makes rather a significant difference in the "look" of a photo.