Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

Shaky hands....which cameras have optical stabilization

I currently have the Olympus stylus 400. but I also have extremely shaky hands. so I get about 35-40% good photos and the rest are blurred. This is frustrating for me. So I am in search of a camera that has optical image stabilization. Thus far I have only found the Panasonice Lumix line. Are there any others? I am looking for more of a point and shoot but am willing to take a look at anything.

Thanks.

The Canon IS line (S1 and S2) has it, as does the Konica-Minolta A line (A200, for example) and the Sony H1, to name a few.

But please note that image stabilization is not a miracle. It can enable you to use a slightly lower shutter speed handheld without blur than what you could before. So, for example, if you could take non-blurry shots at 1/200 before, with IS you might be able to take them at 1/60 or so, but not much slower. The best bet is still a tripod.

By the way, if you go to the "reviews and info" section of this site and run a search on cameras checking off "image stabilization" as a feature, you'll get a list of those cameras that have it.

I have a slight hand tremor, and I was looking at image stabilization. But I ended up deciding that I didn't need it, most shots at 1/320 usually come out pretty good. For slower shutter speeds I have a monopod but I'm eyeing up a Feisol tripod.
    "The real world begins right outside our doors --the world of nature, with remarkable beauty and diversity for all of us to discover." Kenn Kaufman

I'd measure the shake effect on the camera, is it more of a "light shake" or is it extreme jerks (extreme being say, the camera moves versus appear to be midly vibrating within a 1/2 cm gap) Any severe hand shake the IS system won't help and in fact might not be able to compensate for at all.

Tim

I have a condition called essential tremors which causes a very mild high frequency hand tremor. You would never notice it if I didnt point it out. But it is reflected in some slightly blurry but ruined shots. Alot of the time I will have my fiance (who has rock solid hands) take a photo for me, but that takes away from the fun. And I am not about to lug a tripod around with me wherever I go. I think the new panasonic lumix fx8 would be great but it is not sold in the US. Thanks.

My grandmother had an essential tremor, and it's hard to say without knowing how mild or severe yours is (hers was severe and eventually she died from complications from surgeries to correct it but that's a whole other story). But IS would probably help a little - however I suggest still using a tripod. It might also help you to set your camera to a faster shutter speed by default. At 1/1000 of a second you're unlikely to get much blur.

IS, according to most people, can get you about 3 stops on shutter speed slower handheld than you could've done without it. So if you can take a non-blurry shot at 1/500 of a second, then IS might get you to 1/125. It doesn't mean you can take 1" exposures handheld and expect them to come out clear, though.