A few things I've ran into while using this.
1. Sometimes it will stop transferring. Usually I'll just go to networks on the iPad, turn the wireless off and back on and rejoin the card. Sometimes I have to totally turn the camera off and on and rejoin the card before it'll start transferring again.
2. Twice now I've gotten an Err 02, card not formatted error. When this happens, turn the camera off(wait for the images to finish writing), pull out the card, put it back in, turn the camera back on and it's back to normal. I believe this happens mostly when you've shot a lot of pictures at once and have filled up the buffer.
3. I've decided this tool is best for reviewing pictures AFTER you're done with a set. It's too slow to try and review pictures as you're taking them(for what I do anyway) and it will slow you down significantly. So now I just open shuttersnitch when I'm done with a small set and am about to move to another and let them transfer.
Had to sign up just to say thanks! :)
glad you signed up and glad i could help.
Adam, great info, and many thanks. A couple of questions:
1) Others have said that they needed to "jailbreak" their iPad in order to get it to talk to the Eye-Fi card without a router present (so-called ad-hoc networking). Is it possible for someone to use the Eye-Fi card without jailbreaking the iPad and without having a router present (in other words, using only an ad-hoc network)? Since you referenced direct-mode and didn't reference MyFi or jailbreaking, I think I understand, but wish to be certain. (They were using MyFi to establish connection to the EyeFi from the iPad.)
2) Is there any reason to believe the steps you outlined would not work with an original iPad, rather than the iPad 2?
Many thanks for sharing your hard-earned knowledge. Very generous of you.
sorry for the late reply larry. i'm sure you figured it out by now, but
1. jailbreaking has nothing to do with what goes on with the eye-fi card. i do jailbreak my ipad, but i had this working well before the new ipad 2 jailbreak was released.
2. it also works on the original. i started out using the original while i was waiting for my 2 to come in.
Is this :
The same as this:
I know it looks the same but just want to make sure. Also are you sure it will work (links to working setup would be awesome). Want to use it with a 5D MKII and 7D with a Eye Fi Pro X2...
i couldn't tell you. the link i added is the one i bought. it does look the same though.
as far as being sure. i use it all the time. the picture of the bride looking at her own picture is real. i took it.
here's another one i shot of a couple reviewing their engagement photos
I thought you were using a different adaptor that's why I was asking if you were sure it worked. Thanks.
i'm using the one i linked
this one. i know it works for sure.
Got the Eye-Fi Pro X2 with the DigiGear Extreme SD-HC-XC to CF Adapter and it works like a charm in 'Direct mode' or WiFi mode with my iPad 2 but only with the 5D MKII. It gives me Error 02 with my 7D whenever any kind of transfer is made i.e. to PC or ipad - WiFi or direct. So basically I can only use it when I borrow my friends 5D MKII. I'm still trying to figure out why it doesn't work with the 7D but seems like I'm not the only with with the same problem and no one has a solution for it yet. Will update if I find a solution.... -_-
The Eye-Fi with the CF adaptor does not like the heat i.e. 40'C+ working temperature. Stops fuctioning properly if it heats up throwing Error 02 even on the 5D MKII. Works fine on the 7D if I don't take too many pivtures in one go and if I'm shooting low res JPEG.