Which Camera Should I Buy? (Please Read Before Posting)
Which Camera Should I Buy?
This short questionnaire will help the members of this forum make good camera recommendations for you. Please copy the questions into a new post, and provide brief answers.
• Are you looking for a compact point & shoot camera, a DSLR, or something in between? (Or perhaps you haven't decided yet — that's okay!)
• Is this your first camera? First ever, or first digital?
• Are you interested in a high level of control, or would you prefer to let the camera do as much "thinking" as possible?
• If you had to choose, would you prefer a more versatile (large "×") zoom lens, or top-notch image quality with no zoom at all?
• What size of camera do you want? To what degree would you be willing to sacrifice other features for compactness?
• What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.
• Do you plan to spend more on additional accessories now or in the future? (Lenses, lighting, tripods, batteries, memory cards, camera bags... it adds up!)
• How long do you plan on keeping this new camera?
• What will you generally use the camera for?
• Are you going to photograph sports? What sport, and from how far away?
• Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos, or other low-light photos?
• Will you make prints, or primarily view and share images on a computer screen? If you make prints, will they typically be small (up to 5×7") or medium sized (8×10"), or are you interested in larger sizes as well?
• Are you interested in spending time post-processing to make an image "perfect", or would you prefer to use images basically straight from the camera?
• Are there particular lenses or technical features that are interesting or important to you?
• Are there particular brands or models you already have in mind?
Please copy the above form and post your answers in a separate thread.
Thanks to Rex914 for the previous version of this form, which served well for five years!