I am afraid of losing detail to the shadow. I do have a darker DERBY ... I need to pull it up.
EDIT: Darin, I have updated the last image.
Well, the "Harlo" font I used on the earlier posters was a kind of 'close approximation' to the Cabaret-style I really wanted for it. I also tried "Black Forest" font, but it was a little too far out. After some research on MyFonts, I found the "Cabaret-Normal" font. You have to BUY these fonts, because they are commercial in nature. It is easy enough, but it kind of does what I wanted for the overall effect.
So ... here is the near-final project image:
Maybe this time ...
"Project 2" has begun ... and this one is a collective effort among six members ... a "design team." Preliminary photographic duties are between myself and another photographer. Then there are two Graphic Artists for their elements, the Web Designer and a VMX element.
Final design will be viewed as all of the following
Poster for the new album
Homepage with 2 working links
15-30 second trailer advertising the new album
Emphasis will be placed on use of basic understanding and use of:
• use of texture
• strong typography
Okay ... the second project ... something along the strange.
A rough idea ...
(original art concept photographed & laid out by Don Schap)
Wow! Were does this rate? :eek: Some bizarre art, to be sure.
Bizarre art, yes. Where does it rate? Not bad for initial concept, but the image needs work, IMO.
The jacket has good three-dimentional quality and lighting. The creature's face, however, needs work. The top of the head has a 3D quality similar to the jacket, but the face itself lacks depth and shadowing equivalent to the jacket and top of the head -- so, it ends up having a flat 2D quality that makes it look out of place. The same goes for what is supposed to be flowing out of the hands. And, for true nit picking, I noticed that while the right hand has a thumb, the left hand is missing one. The overall effect on the viewer ... lacking a realistic look.
I think that with some additional work, you could end up with a top notch image that makes me think I'm going to be transported into a different world.
Unless you can add CGI elements with a 3D quality into the image, I would suggest that once your team tweaks the elements of the initial concept image, the model actually model's the elements (mask, hands, etc.) to the extent possible. That way you would end up with fairly consistent lighting/ shadowing across the image. That should help reduce the amount of PP added elements that might be lacking in similar lighting quality.
But hey, it's easy for me to say ... I'm not the one doing the project!!!!
I used softbox lighting on the jacket and the subject's right side ... but, I also use a snoot on the left upper part of the mask, to accent the "flames."
It has taken a while to get the lighting somewhat "working" for this image. I think a larger studio might allow for some better flexibility in that regard. I have to admit, it is rather tough in close quarters with something six feet tall.
Again, this was more of a working concept shot ... to see if the group wanted to travel down this road. I needed something tangible to show how it might effectively look.
Thanks for the feedback. You're right, that mask needs ... something. Perhaps some transparent flames through another layer. Hmmm ...
One of the main issues I have been struggling with is the disjointed aspect to the "group" concept. Unfortunately for me, I would be much more prepared for this kind of project after the next quarter's classes, which cover all the missing aspects I currently am enjoying (NOT!) of the assignment. For the moment, I have to rely on members whom I haven't even discussed this with (not for lack of trying), plus one group member has fallen gravely ill (that certainly is unforeseen).
I know that I would like to get a whole bunch more shots of my own image model ... problem is, no model! The first image (above) was done with a tripod holding up the mask, jacket and hands. (Kind of amazing what you can do with a coat hanger and a few pillows, ain't it?) :rolleyes:
Happily, it looks like they have adopted my subject choice as the image theme and that will make make the overall solutions easier to do. Now, it becomes a matter of just getting some more shot selections going, e.g., varying poses, lighting variations and whatnot.
If all I had to do was worry about the photography for my grade ... this would be a snap. (pardon the pun) :o
I tell ya, the α850 might be making the images too large for multiple edits, like this. I may have to kick back to the α700 and its 12.2 MP images. I am finding the RAM really stressed with masks and multiple edits. You get some strange responses from the cursor, as edits are made in areas you are not correcting, but the program has gotten lost, apparently, in the RAM. I have to back out and close the document. Even then, the image becomes ... touchy. :(
I suppose I could simply use the MENU on the α850 and select the APS-C Capture mode (11 MP) ... or reduce the resolution a bit, by going to 'M" (13 MP) instead of the "L" (24 MP). Most students do not have Full Frame imaging available to them, so I am going to assume they would not have this file size issue to worry about.
Where my desktop only has 2GB of RAM to manipulate an image in, the new MSI laptop has a full 4GB to mess with ... and a CORE 2 Duo processor to jockey it around. The ATI Radeon video card is also pretty neat, but that darn LCD screen is unreliable as a measured video evaluation/color management resource. It you tilt the screen just a bit, you get an entirely different looking shade due to polarization. That can be really hard to make image adjustments/judgments from.
by the looks of how much photography there is involved so far, you may as well just use a compact.