PDA

View Full Version : Sold FZ20

Grog
07-03-2005, 09:38 PM
I bought a FZ20 back in Dec of O4 and while I liked the camera I soon relized it was not what I wanted. The small senser ment that anything above ISO 100 was just about useless in fact I was only using ISO 80 just before I sold it. I could get very good picture at these ISO settings but I wanted to be able to shoot at higher shutter speeds. I didn't like the slow start up time, the camera just did everything slow. I relized that I would not be happy with any of the Point and shoot cameras. So I will be getting a DSLR. I already have a N80 and Nikkor lens so will probly go with there camera. I liked the lens and the SLR like fill of the camera and the anti shake. But using the 4x7mm 1/2A senser just didn't cut it. Like going back to a 110 film camera and the grainey picture only they have a new name for it in digital.

Anex
07-04-2005, 01:17 AM
Was there a point to this thread?

dev
07-04-2005, 06:27 AM
Was there a point to this thread?

We suck. And those of us with the silver "plastic toy" version really suck. :rolleyes:

lennyk
07-04-2005, 01:52 PM
I can understand where this guy is coming from, being a recent and satisfied FZ20 owner.

Once you start using the FZ20 you immediately find things possible which were not possible before with the regular point and shoots.

For example for me I can now sit in the stands and shoot soccer pics, this is something unimaginable before to the layperson.

However when you start zooming in lower light conditions is where the limitations of a nondslr like high iso noise etc start coming into play and you begin to ask questions about what can be done and what are the mitigating factors that differentiate the various cameras on the market.

The only solution from here onwards is to spend the money and go dslr.

My limited interest in photography has increased significantly and if I ever plan to spend money again it would obviously go the way of a dslr since after owning an FZ20 there is not much else to improve.

meillana
07-04-2005, 03:35 PM
I can understand where this guy is coming from, being a recent and satisfied FZ20 owner.

Once you start using the FZ20 you immediately find things possible which were not possible before with the regular point and shoots.

For example for me I can now sit in the stands and shoot soccer pics, this is something unimaginable before to the layperson.

However when you start zooming in lower light conditions is where the limitations of a nondslr like high iso noise etc start coming into play and you begin to ask questions about what can be done and what are the mitigating factors that differentiate the various cameras on the market.

The only solution from here onwards is to spend the money and go dslr.

My limited interest in photography has increased significantly and if I ever plan to spend money again it would obviously go the way of a dslr since after owning an FZ20 there is not much else to improve.

spot on lennyk

shu246
07-05-2005, 05:05 AM
yes, noise with the FZ20 above 100 ISO is quite noticeable, and above 200 ISO is troublesome. yes, the necessary solution is a physically larger photorecptor array. that's the physics of the situation. the next step up is a quantum leap to dslr, with interchangeable lenses, and a quantum leap also in cost.

imho the panasonic fz20, with f/2.8 through 12x optical zoom, image stabilization, hot shoe, etc., in a single sealed package, is at the pinnacle of it's class - the best available digital camera short of making that quantum leap.

don't expect an 12 pax van to perform as a 42 pax bus, nor vice-versa.

herc182
07-05-2005, 10:41 AM
bit sick of hearing about the noise issue. its not as bad as most of its rivals, and if you need to, use iso 400 and clear it up with noise ninja (which is an amazing programme).

majority of photography for me though is in daylight so i suppose i wont get annoyed as many!

jcon
07-05-2005, 07:06 PM
I agree Herc, I also get upset with complaints of noise and also the low light complaint. I have never had a noise issue with my FZ20. It just takes practice and learning different settings, and forgive me for being rude but why do we care if someone sold there camera? :confused:

bracko
07-05-2005, 07:53 PM
there's nothing wrong with the camera and noise in low light.

cameras don't take good pictures, people do.

buying a N80 isn't going to slove your problems.

but, if that's what you want, then spend till you're heats desired.

/hugs Minolta X300s

herc182
07-05-2005, 10:31 PM
here here. like i have heard genece say more than once, a well exposed photo will not have noise!